Monday, August 19, 2013

Last Week's Thrifty Moves


On Sunday I purchased a roasted deli chicken at Fred Meyer.  It was 3¢ more than a raw one of the same size in the meat department so it made sense to purchase it already prepared.  We enjoyed it with stuffing, gravy (there were plenty of wonderful drippings in the chicken container) and green beans for our Sunday supper.  I prepared several meals from that chicken throughout the week. 

A friend of mine saved me the ads and coupons from the Sunday paper so I didn't have to buy one.  She also gave me some soap and shampoo samples she brought home from the Mirage hotel in Las Vegas.  The soap smells delightful. 

I trimmed my bangs. 

I kept my grocery shopping to a minimum purchasing items only on sale.  However, I still think I purchased more than I should have.  Some habits will die hard I suppose.  Plus I really enjoy grocery shopping, especially if there is a bargain involved.  Here are some of my really good buys: 

·         Milk - 1/2 gallon for 99¢
·         Whole wheat bread for $1.50
·         Ground beef - 85% lean.  2 packages for $4.53 ($1.99/lb.) on markdown.
·         Apple juice - 2 half gallon bottles for $1.29 each
·         Orange juice - 1/2 gallon for 99¢ 

Our landlady gave us more cucumbers and some wonderful tomatoes from her garden. 

The girls fed our kitchen scraps and some stale bread to the neighbor's chickens.  A friend gave us her stale bread to feed them too.  The girls love feeding them and the chickens love them for doing it. 

I ordered a washing machine from Home Depot, put it on my Home Depot account and will pay it off next month in full.  I have the money already set aside. 

I took the girls to the library again to check out books. 

A trip to Goodwill netted us two sweaters and two fleece jackets for the girls for school.  Total price $14.  Instead of dashing off, like I usually do at the end of the transaction, I took the time for a brief conversation with the clerk.  It was really nice. 

We watched a couple movies and TV programs using our Amazon Prime membership.  I also used it to get my oldest a scientific calculator she needs for school for $11 (half price) plus free shipping. 

I was able to fill the girl's backpacks with about 90% of the school supplies they needed from what we already had on hand.  I purchased six packages of notebook filler paper for 2/$1 and two packages of index cards for 78¢ each at the neighborhood grocery store.  I still need to acquire one more composition book, a compass, and some graph paper. 

I finished a book I had bought for 25¢ at a thrift store.  I will "gift" it to someone or re-donate it. 

I read two books and watched a DVD I borrowed from the library and then returned them. 

I took the girls out to eat for less than $20. 

I listed more of our stuff to sell on eBay and Craigslist.  I also started a box to fill with items to donate. 

I made some maintenance repairs around the house using items I already had on hand.  I fixed a shelf and touched up the scuffs on the kitchen cabinets. 

How was your thrifty week?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...