Friday, August 23, 2013

How I Got Some Serious Mileage Out Of A Chicken Last Week


Chicken Soup
A week ago Sunday I purchased a rotisserie chicken from the Fred Meyer deli for $6.99.  I took it home and served it to my family with a box of Stove Top stuffing (purchased on sale and with a coupon for 25¢), green beans (on sale for 50¢) and gravy made from the drippings that had accumulated in the bottom of the chicken container.  There were a lot of drippings and it made a lot of delicious gravy. 

 
On Tuesday I removed the remaining chicken from the bird and set it aside.  I left a little meat on the bones for flavor but removed the skin and as much fat as I could before placing the carcass in my slow cooker.  I added two stalks of celery, a large carrot and half an onion and let it stew on high for four hours.  After allowing it to cool an hour I removed the carcass and veggies, then strained the broth. 

Delicious broth.
I returned the broth to the slow cooker, chopped up added the remaining thigh meat I had already removed as well as the leftover gravy and green beans from Sunday's supper.  Next I stirred in half a package of frozen peas and carrots and let it cook for another two hours.  When ready to serve I cooked a 7 oz. package of star shaped pasta (purchased for 33¢ from the Mexican food aisle) and added it to the soup.  We ate that with a freshly made tossed green salad. 

The next day we enjoyed soup again for lunch.  I also put away a 4 cup container of soup in the freezer to have later down the road.  Perhaps as a lunch for the girl's one day once school starts. 

Ready for fried rice.
I still had the better portion of a chicken breast and one leg left from the chicken.  I deboned the leg and chopped up the meat plus the breast too and added it to a veggie stir fry I made on Friday.  I served it along with some steamed rice.  We enjoyed leftovers on Saturday for lunch. 

I love when I can take something as simple as a whole roasted chicken and create three different and delicious meals out of it without busting the budget.  The nice thing is that it didn't really feel like we were eating leftovers either.
 

3 comments:

  1. You get two thumbs up from my husband;-) He saw your post title from Rhonda's blog and said "go there". We don't do as well as you...two menfolk in the house. I never thought to use the drippings from the container. We do get enough chicken left over to make a small container of chicken salad, good for about 3 sandwiches.

    I have lost it...sure I could goggle it up again, but came across a blogger who posted about 5 meals from a pot roast. Thanks for inspiring me to find that again.
    blessings, jill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you found us Jill. I hope you visit often. Did you check out "Anatomy Of A Pot Roast"? There is a link at the end of this post. It's a job keeping our families fed! Take care.

      Delete
    2. I just finished reading both...don't know how I missed them before. I think the problem around here is the menfolk eat the leftovers as snacks. So recently I had to put my foot down on that one. Lots of fruit to snack on...not to mention those $10 Cliffbars I still can't believe I allowed myself to be talked into.
      What I have noticed is we tend to eat better toward the end of the month when all the 'good' stuff is gone and I need to get creative. I am thinking of doing a grocery challenge next month....the menfolk think they are going to starve. LOL

      Thanks for such great ideas. I am off to read your archives.
      blessings, jill

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...