Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Preparing A Meal Tiny House Style


How do we cook in our tiny kitchen?  Pretty much the same way we did in our bigger kitchen but on a smaller scale.  Just like when we travel or go camping simple meals are best and so I decided to continue this thought with our every day meal preparations as well. 

I start with a plan.  Meal planning is essential in that I know what to make on any given day.  I am not so rigid in my meal plan that I can't be flexible and shift things around if I want to. That is important.  Meal planning also helps in one vital area.  I am able to make sure I have everything I need on hand to prepare a certain meal.  With less space for food storage this has become ultra important. 

Pasta Alfredo & Spinach Salad
Our meals usually comprise two key components - the main dish and a side dish.  I try to make certain that both dishes include all the items needed for a well balanced meal.  We eat a lot of fresh made salads to help ensure this is the case. 


The three of us work together.  Each one plays a part.  My daughters are becoming quite adept at salad building and putting together side dishes.  Now they are learning to make the main dish and cook on the stove as well.  While one works on the main dish, the other works on the side dish and then whoever is leftover gets to set the table and pour beverages.  Sometimes we tag team. 

Big cutting board over the sink makes a great work surface.

We clean as we go, a habit developed long ago.  This is imperative in a tiny kitchen.  Ingredients get put away once we are finished using them.  Dirty dishes go in the dishpan to get washed.  Trash is tossed away immediately. 

We recently purchased a great big cutting board to lay over the stove or one of the sinks to extend our counter space as needed.  This has been a huge help in allowing two people to work in the kitchen at the same time.  It really makes things easier. 

Once our meal is over we all work together to put away leftovers and condiments, finish the dishes and then wipe down the table and our tiny kitchen.  We all agree that meal preparation and clean up seems to be easier and faster than it has ever been.  Simple really is better.

2 comments:

  1. I found your blog last weekend. I am enjoying all that you share. I am a knitter and crocheter. I use to sew but due to vision changes no longer quit or sew. I am going back and read all of your
    blog so I will be up to date. I love the zucchini bites receipt you shared.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's terrific. I'm so glad you found us. Those zucchini bites really are wonderful. Take care and enjoy your day!

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...