Monday, November 4, 2013

Last Week’s Thrifty Moves

Pumpkin ready to bake in the slow cooker.
Sunday the girls and I spent the afternoon playing Dominoes and Uno. 

I reorganized my kitchen and made room to set up my beloved bread machine.  Yee haw! 

I had a speckled banana and used it to make Double Chocolate Banana Bread.  My girls were thrilled when they got home from school and got a big slice of that for a snack. 

I wasted no time and baked up my little pumpkin that the youngest won for me.  I quartered it, scraped out the innards and put it in my medium sized slow cooker on high for three hours.  It was simple to scrape off the soft flesh from the rind.  I used my mixer on high with the liquid that had collected in the bottom of the cooker to make it the right consistency.  Pie anyone?! 

We gave the pumpkin guts and rind to the neighbors chickens. 

I listed and sold items on eBay this week and made more than enough to cover our power bill, groceries for the month, and another bill.  Yay! 

I listed two more items for sale in my Etsy store. 

I came across some killer deals at the neighborhood grocery store so I started my November grocery shopping a little early.  As a result I am filling the pantry and freezer quite nicely and have even managed to stockpile a few things we use a lot.  For some reason I always feel better having a little bit of a stockpile.  I find a lot of comfort in that. 

We currently have two lotion bottles positioned upside down so we can manage to get every little bit out of them.  I also used a pencil to smooth the toothpaste tube and push all the paste toward the top of the tube.  I then folded up the flat part and secured it with a big paper clip. 

Instead of purchasing trick-or-treat bags, which were only $1 a piece, we used our re-usable grocery bags and saved the two bucks. 

We watched a few educational programs on Youtube and our favorite shows on Hulu for free. 

How did you your thrifty week go?

2 comments:

  1. I discovered your blog last week and am absolutely delighted. I've read many of your older blog posts over the weekend and really enjoyed them. You have so many helpful routines and suggestions that you share and your overall tone is encouraging and upbeat. You've really done a nice job. I've added your blog to my Bloglovin feed and will continue to read though your older posts. Thank you so much for sharing your ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy you found us. Thank you for adding me to your feed and for the positive feedback. Always so nice to hear. I hope to hear from you often. Thanks again. Enjoy your day!

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...