Thursday, April 21, 2016

I Don't Own A Lot Of Clothes - And I Love It!


When we downsized and moved into our RV we seriously culled our clothing.  With small narrow closets and only a half dozen tiny drawers for all of us to store our things in it meant some serious purging was necessary.  I haven't regretted that one bit.

Two new sweaters in royal blue and fuschia pink.

It made things so much simpler.  It also changed our thought process.  Fewer items meant that I focused more on the quality of our clothing instead of the quantity.  I now get to indulge myself in my love of fine designer clothing.

I really love shoes, but this is more than enough.

Our choices in clothing became more streamlined.  No more seasonal wardrobes.  Our clothing had to be wearable all year long.  Instead of professional wear and casual wear I now meet somewhere in the middle of the road.

My basic black sweater (goes with everything) and a gray one

When we moved back into the house I wanted to stay on that same track.  Especially since I took the bedroom with the smallest closet.  After outlining what I feel is the perfect work wardrobe for me I then focused on creating and maintaining just that.

One top two looks


My work wardrobe flows into my weekend wear just fine.  I added one pair of jeans, a pair of capris, a pair of athletic shoes and a pair of sandals.  It all works together.  I do keep one outfit and my old tennis shoes for yucky projects and painting because I don't want to risk ruining my good clothes, but just the one.  The old shoes can also double as my camping shoes.




I replace items as things wear out.  When I buy something new I try to make sure something else leaves and is given away or gets donated.  If it is too worn then it gets repurposed or tossed.  Doing this helps me make sure the size of my wardrobe doesn't balloon and get out of control.


My basic black top goes with everything - of course!

Mostly I love the simplicity.  I have just enough variety to mix and match to create multiple outfits so I don't get bored.  I also have enough articles of clothing that washing laundry just twice a week makes sure I have plenty of clean clothing to wear at all times.  And because I have fewer pieces of clothing I spend a lot less time doing laundry on those two days then what I used to.  That fact actually surprised me.

Yes, in case you were wondering I do organize by color and sleeve length.
My jeans hang in the front and my slacks are on pants hangers at the back.
I also have one skirt which also goes with any of my solid tops.

Small selection of earrings to go with.  I don't have a lot of accessories.

My slacks are either black or dark gray.  I wear black socks and shoes.  I don't buy navy because I have a difficult time distinguishing it from black so I avoid it and any major fashion faux pas that I would make as a result.  I've never been one to accessorize much either.  Earrings, my rings a bracelet or two and I'm good.  Sometimes a pin or brooch and on a rare occasion (very rare) a scarf.

Keeping it simple means I always have something nice to wear regardless of the occasion.  No stress and no worry.  I love it!


10 comments:

  1. I have a really small wardrobe right now too but it's because I've gained so much weight nothing fits me anymore! :o)

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, this post really resonates with me. I've always had a small wardrobe and I think it has made my "What do I wear today?" question easier. I have tough criteria for my wardrobe, things like:
    1. Has to be multi-season wearable (this means I layer when needed)
    2. Mostly neutral colors that I can mix & match with everything else
    3. Has to be machine washable (I do not dry-clean anything except for coats)
    4. Keep it simple and classic, nothing too trendy
    5. Has to be budget friendly

    I love your wardrobe. The colors you've chosen are very flattering!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kindred spirits, I think! I love the jewel tones paired with basic black. My favorite. :)

      Delete
  3. love love love this! I'm trying to do this as well. I am ending up with tons of black!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your style and color choices! Where, if you don't mind me asking, did you purchase the sleeveless multi-color (BSU colors! I'm a Bronco!) drape neck top? It's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Teresa. That top came from JC Penney. Funny because I am wearing it right now! Go Broncos!

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...