Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Robots Invade Boise


So I know you have all heard me mention on several occasions that my oldest daughter goes to these workshops at the university three times a week.  She has been doing this for some time now.  I thought I'd share what that was all about.  Beware:  proud mommy moment.

Passing inspection

Chickadees 5871 is an all girls FIRST robotics team of high school students interested in any and all aspects of engineering.  After attending a meeting last fall in October to introduce them to what FIRST Robotics is all about we were hooked.  It not only looked like a lot of fun, but the potential to learn new things was staggering.

Getting the "Thunder Egg" ready for a match

In December the team began to meet regularly to learn the various skills they would need to be able to build their competition robot.  They learned about electrical components, software coding and even had to become certified in machining.  I loved seeing the excitement building in these girls with each accomplishment.

Chickadees 5871 is ready to go
In January the robot build kicked off.  They found out what obstacles their robot would need to navigate and it was up to them to figure out how to build something that could do these things.  And they did.

Castles, moats, draw bridges, and rough terrain are no problem for this team
Last week was their regional competition and the culmination of what they have been working so hard for.  For me it was tremendous fun to see what they done and then to put it into practice as they competed with and against other robots.


The Chickadees began competition with a ranking of 30 out of 30.  Once they got their feet wet and a little experience under their belts they just got better and better.  By the time all was said and done the Chickadees finished in 9th place.  A fantastic finish for our rookie all girls team.

Tremendous amount of talent in these kids
Although it was a lot of work and a tremendous time commitment on everyone's part we are already excited for next fall and the opportunity to do it all over again.  A fantastic experience, for sure.  Go Chickadees!

My Chickadee





10 comments:

  1. Wow! I'd be super proud, too! I love seeing all girl teams do well at typically "boy" activities. :-)
    - Molly

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is really awesome! What fun! I am so glad you shared this because I have never heard of it before.
    I would be proud as a peacock too at the talent in your girl! Congratulations to your beautiful chickadee! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Watch for it. They are nationwide, in fact there was a team here from Duluth. The grade schoolers start out with lego robots. They are cuuuuuute!

      Delete
  3. That is fantastic, plus I love a team of females in a male dominated event! You should be proud!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were the only all girls team competing. It was great to see how well they did.

      Delete
  4. That is great! And I do love seeing girls do something that is predominantly boys. I would be super proud too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was one of the neatest things I've ever seen. :)

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...