Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Purging Once Again


We've been back in our house just over eighteen months now and I am determined not to let things get out of control and pile up.  It amazes me how quickly one can accumulate stuff.  In no time at all it will start to take over.


I started purging a little bit last year, but I decided it was time to go through the entire house and clear out some clutter.  I began in my bedroom by going through my closet and purging some of my clothing and shoes.  Then I reorganized it and because I have used a lot of the items up that I was storing in there I was able to completely eliminate on entire plastic tote.  I also have more space in there too, not to mention extra empty hangers.


Next was the downstairs powder room.  My oldest daughter happily accepted all of my hair accessories so I eliminated another storage container from under the sink.  Other than that not much else in there.


I purged a ton of paper from my tiny home office tucked in the corner of our living room.  We seem to acquire a lot of it when school is in session.  I also purged and re-organized all of my important papers and got them corralled into one binder complete with tabs - Home, Auto, Life & Personal.  Our tax returns and supporting documents went into a big envelope and labeled.  I eliminated a huge stack of paperwork from the top shelf of the hall closet and the corner of my desk.


I went through all the drawers and cabinets in the kitchen and got rid of a few things I wasn't using.  I cleaned everything out as I went along as part of my spring cleaning endeavors.  For the most part the kitchen was in great shape.


I talked to the girls and we decided to hold off purging their rooms until school is out.  That is when we usually go through all of their clothes and do the hand me down and seasonal shuffle so it makes perfect sense to wait the six weeks and do it then.

I've been really careful about what we buy and bring into the house.  I am just not interested in filling this house up with crap again.  No, no, no.  As a result I had a nice little pile of goodies to take to the thrift store and donate and our house still feels breathable.

Have you done any purging at your house lately?



9 comments:

  1. I'm just now starting. It is a huge endeavor. I wish I could take it all and dump it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is huge! But once you are done it will feel great!

      Delete
  2. i'm always finding stuff to get rid of. honestly, i've de-cluttered at least 1/2 our things and I seem to always find more. I think there are levels to purging. Something 6 months ago i wasn't ready to get rid of ,now is out the door. I'm just not attached to many of things I use to think were so important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am the same way with decluttering! A year ago we moved to a place half the size of our previous home & purged so much. Now we are about to move somewhere even smaller, and the purge continues! No matter how much constant decluttering I do, there always seems to be more yet to do. Lol.

      Delete
    2. It truly amazes me how we can find more and more to declutter. And how easily it accumulates again. Crazy!

      Delete
  3. We are back from our trip out of state and I have started in on eliminating more things. After taking another look at my parents home and the fact they refuse to purge I am even more dedicated to having less.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could probably make another pass thru and find some things. :)

      Delete
  4. I have been in the process of packing/moving to a smaller house. I was decluttering before the move, and thought I had really got rid of a lot of stuff.ha but, since moving...oh my.........where did I get all this stuff???? So the eliminating is continuing.. It is so much better , when you finish . House feels so much better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing puts it more into perspective than to have to pack our stuff in boxes and move! Good for you and congratulations on your new smaller home. :)

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...