Monday, November 6, 2017

Last Week's Thrifty Moves


Sunday morning I felt like it was time to get my crap together after the crazy busy month we had just had.  And since November was upon us in just a couple of days it seemed like a perfect time to get started.

First things first, I got up and made a fresh pot of coffee and proceeded to write five articles to post on the blog.  And boy did that feel great!  Then I cleaned up and reorganized the craft table I'd set up in the living room, took out a bag of trash, fixed whatever was stuck and rattling around in the vacuum cleaner and thoroughly vacuumed the entire downstairs.


The girls fixed Sunday brunch, biscuits and gravy, and did the dishes.  After we ate I went into the bathroom and trimmed my bangs.  They seriously needed it and once I was done I could see!  I really do not like to have hair hanging down in my eyes.

I started putting items into my Amazon shopping cart for upcoming birthday gifts and Christmas presents.


Monday evening my oldest had a robotics meeting.  We always launch right out of marching band and into robots.  While we waited for her I took the opportunity for a "date" night with my youngest.  We went to Del Taco, she likes there plain little tacos, and spent a whopping $5!  Cheap date!

Portobello ravioli - Yum!

Tuesday was Halloween and I'd had a gift card for quite some time for Olive Garden.  Since we don't usually have Trick-or-Treaters in our neighborhood I thought it would be a great time to celebrate the occasion and use that gift card.  We got there early and were able to take advantage of their $8.99 specials they have going between 3:00 and 5:00 plus we ordered an appetizer.  We had so much food we brought home enough for another entire meal.  After adding on the tip plus using the gift card our final total was just over $16.  I have to say I truly enjoy a great meal out so much more when it doesn't cost me a small fortune.


We came home and watched Sleepy Hollow with Johnny Depp on Netflix afterward.  We finished up with our tradition of watching the Thriller video before heading off to bed.  It made for a perfect evening.

Wednesday and Thursday afternoon was busy with teacher conferences at each girl's school as well as my youngest's orthodontist appointment.  We got the news that she'll have to have one more tooth removed, poor thing.  I feel so bad about that, but there just isn't enough room in her mouth for it to move into place.  They put in some more hardware too.  She has so much stuff in her mouth right now it is crazy, but she continues to take it all in stride.


In between appointments I raked up a boatload of leaves.  We set out two more bins full at the curb for collection as well as topping off the backyard compost bin we built this summer.  We still have a long way to go yet before all the leaves will be off the trees and taken care of.


Friday my youngest had a bowling party to attend and my oldest babysat for one of our neighbors.  I dropped off my youngest and used the time I needed to wait until I picked her up to do some birthday and Christmas shopping.  Lately I have collected a big stack of coupons for various stores that have come in the mail.  I used a $10 OFF $10 Purchase coupon I got in the mail at JC Penney to pick up a birthday gift for my youngest.  I only had to pay $5 out of pocket.  I also used another coupon at Bath & Body Works and picked up two bottles of foaming hand soap for $3 each and a FREE bottle of hand lotion.


Saturday my youngest marched in the Veteran's Day parade with her fellow cheerleaders.  I dropped her off at school and then headed home to work on some sewing projects I had started.  I managed to get them completed before I had to go back and pick her up.  A couple hours later I had to drop my oldest off at a friend's birthday party.  Walmart was across the street from where I dropped her off so I popped in to pick up a package of gift boxes.  I got 10 of them for $3.47 which I thought was a great price.


I spent the remainder of the evening working on some new sewing projects, since I was on a roll and was able to get two completed and two more started.  I'll have to wait until after Christmas to share with you what I made, unfortunately.  But I am very, very happy with my progress.

I did not grocery shop this week.  I made meals using what we already had on hand.

We fed the chickens some of our kitchen scraps.  Along with all of those leaves I added banana peels, coffee grounds, egg shells, onion skins, celery trimmings and tea bags to our compost bin.

How was your thrifty week?



14 comments:

  1. Nothing really too crazy, as I was traveling for work. A few wins. . . despite being crazy jet lagged on Saturday, we opted for a frozen Costco lasagna, vs take out or a restaurant. Also, I bought an Uber gift card through Rite Aid, and used it for my work travel. I earned a $10 Rite Aid reward, and expensed the Uber fees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is really smart what you did with Uber. I'd have never thought to do that.

      Delete
  2. I noticed that you said you put out your leaves for pickup. ZWe save all of ours and our solution to use them up is: I put our leaves into large black plastic (heavy duty) yard bags to save throughout the winter. I empty a bag a time for the chickens to peck through to relieve the boredom. As spring approaches I add organic fertilizer and a little water to each bag and let the heat from the black plastic compost the remaining leaves for the garden beds. The bags and their composted leaf material can be added wherever needed.
    When we have had extreme weather I have even used the bags as insulation around the chicken coop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do multiple things with the leaves. We have so many it is difficult to keep up with them so we have to get creative. One is we have our own compost bin, two we use them as mulch, three we send some to our city composting site and four we do put them in the chicken coop to help keep the mud under control and the bonus is like you said, they get to play in them. I have not tried doing what you do with the plastic bags, but I think that is brilliant!

      Delete
  3. small victories last week...combined reward dollars with 30% off coupon at CVS for nearly free facial cleanser...and a 25c candy bar...$8 off any purchase at the Hallmark store combined with discount for donation to food bank equals free items for animal shelter donation basket...finally baked up a box of brownie mix yesterday when I was hungry for something sweet! great not having to leave the house...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly you did some wonderfully thrifty things last week. Way to go!

      Delete
  4. Sound like you had a great week. I am sorry for your daughter's extraction needs. All my sons had to had work like that done and are none the worse for it, but it was not fun while they were going through it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne. She is quite the trooper. It is almost as hard for me as it is for her, ha, ha. So wish she didn't have to go back for another extraction. But by the time all is said and done she'll be happy about it.

      Delete
  5. Love that portobello ravioli from Olive Garden. Get it every time I go in there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not sure if my last comment was actually accepted so if you get this twice, please just delete one of them. ;)

    You have been really busy and got some great deals! I need to print off a gift card to Olive Garden that I earned through Swagbucks. The plan is to use it when we go up to Coeur D'Alene to see the floating Christmas lights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Debbie that sounds wonderful. You and hubby will have so much fun. Enjoy!

      Delete
  7. Wow, you amaze me with your energy! You were able to get so much done! I can't wait to see your sewing projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was seriously on a roll this past week. It was a little nuts. :)

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...