Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Freezer Clean Up - Week #1


This week I decided it was time to clean out some of the things we've been squirreling away in our kitchen freezer.  Lots of plastic containers filled with leftovers or various odds and ends.  I took several containers and set them on the counter. 

Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup

Biscuits made from scratch

It was cold, wet and rainy on Sunday and we were all craving a big bowl of hot soup.  I defrosted a chicken breast half in the microwave and chopped up some onion and celery.  I cooked up a package of egg noodles and drained them in a colander.  Then I sauteed the chicken, celery and onion in the same pot I cooked the noodles in.  I added a container of chicken broth from the freezer, water, a packet of chicken gravy mix, a partial leftover package of peas & carrots, a can of corn and a tablespoon of dried parsley.  I brought that to a simmer and added the noodles.  I also made up a nice batch of homemade whole wheat biscuits.


Sunday - Chicken Noodle Soup & Biscuits

Sliced pork with green chile enchilada sauce


Monday - I had thawed a couple boneless pork chops I found in the freezer.  I sliced it up and added a container of leftover green chile sauce I had in the freezer as well.  I made up some rice and served the Pork Verde over it with a little grated cheese and some sour cream.  I also made a salad.


Tuesday - I thawed a container of Thai Curry Soup that was in the freezer.  We had some leftover chicken from Saturday so I sliced it up and added it to the soup and heated it all up on the stove.  It made for a quick and very delicious supper and we had leftover salad from the night before to go with it.

A salad to go with all of this yummy soup

Wednesday - Leftover Chicken Noodle Soup & Biscuits, a quick reheat in the microwave and supper was on the table.


Thursday - I thawed a container of Split Pea Soup as well as a small container of ham broth and heated that up while a pan of cornbread baked in the oven.  My youngest doesn't care for pea soup so she had leftover Chicken Noodle Soup.


Friday - Next up was a Cool Whip container filled with leftover sausage and mushroom spaghetti sauce. We cooked up a little pasta and tossed it with the container of leftover spaghetti sauce.  Sprinkled with parmesan it made for a quick and tasty supper.


Saturday - Two small containers of leftover Taco Soup I had pulled from the freezer went into a pot to heat up.  It was the perfect amount for the three of us.  We had leftover cornbread from the other night to go with it too.

It was definitely a week of soups, that is for sure, and we loved every bit of it.  We are a soup loving family so for us this is definitely not a hardship, ha, ha.  We had plenty of leftover leftovers which made for easy and delicious lunches too.

And cupcakes too!

I have some space in the freezer now and I'm really glad to see food isn't going to waste.  Plus it gave me a nice break from having to do much preparation or cooking, mostly a lot of reheating.

Surprisingly I still have a lot of odds and ends in the freezer so we'll be enjoying yet another week of eating from the freezer.  You'll have to tune in next week to see what we ended up eating for supper.



4 comments:

  1. I love leftovers! And yours look so yummy! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love pretty much every kind of soup, I could eat it every day. Yours look delicious. It's great to have a 'backlog' of meals in the freezer and I can pick which one to have, it makes me happy :)

    D.

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...