Thursday, November 9, 2017

More Decluttering


I thought I'd done a good job when I last decluttered, but it seems you can always find more things to get rid of.  I started with that one item always seems to grow out of control - paper.

I sorted and put most of it into the recycle bin and was left with a small stack of items that should be shredded.  Since we don't own a shredder I burn these in our fire pot in our backyard.  It was a cool, wet and rainy day on Sunday so I went ahead and put them in the firepot and lit a match along with a nice handful of leaves and some sticks.  That made quick work of that chore.


The best way to declutter in the sewing area is to finish up a stack of unfinished projects.  I did exactly that over the weekend putting together gifts for upcoming birthdays and Christmas.  I managed to get rid of good sized stack of fabric I'd purchased earlier in the year as well as another good sized stack of works in progress.  It feels really good to have all of those gifts completed.  I still have more supplies and more projects in mind, but for now I am quite satisfied with where I am at.


After I finished sewing I went through all of my patterns and purged nearly half of them.  I also sorted through all of my sewing pins to get rid of the dull ones as well as a few with melted heads on them from being touched by the iron.


I took apart my magnetic pin keeper and washed it to remove all the fuzz, lint, bits of thread and accumulated debris that had collected inside of it.  By the time I was done it looked practically brand new.

I sorted through one of my button jars and tossed out a handful of tarnished ones that didn't look very nice.  I then used up several others to embellish some plain knit gloves.


I'm decluttering the freezer on the side of our kitchen refrigerator by using up the items inside.  Over the past few months we've squirreled away quite a lot of food in plastic freezer containers.  I've got soups, a quiche and lots of odds and ends that could be used to make other things.  It will likely take a bit more than a couple weeks to use up all of those things that are in there and I'll be sharing what we end up doing with all of that food as we work our way through it.


When I put our Halloween decorations away I purged some of the fall and Halloween decor we no longer need or want.  That along with the patterns and a pair of my youngest daughter's shoes will be dropped off at the thrift store for donation in the next couple of weeks.


Are any of you doing any purging or decluttering in your homes right now?  Doesn't it seem like a never ending process?



10 comments:

  1. I need to declutter every room in my house, especially my sewing room! I am currently working on a cross stitch bib that I do not like at all. It's almost done and I will give it to one of my granddaughter's to use in doll play. There is another bib in the package and I don't want to waste my time stitching it. BUT, I will do so, so each granddaughter will have a bib. Otherwise, I could have donated this project to a thrift store! See my problem??? I rationalize keeping everything!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't feel bad. I have the hardest time letting go of sewing and crafting supplies.

      Delete
  2. Definitely..always something to declutter.lol
    I too, am decluttering [even though, I did it a few months ago]. I like to get my house ready for Christmas decorating. SO, I do a "Pre- Christmas clean/decluttering" each year. I did the kitchen first, and found a few things to discard. Mainly, I washed out all cabinets/drawers.. Then on to the living area, I found a couple magazines to donate and washed curtains and hung to dry on a pretty day.
    I am working on the bedroom now.. Going through dresser drawers and closets to see if I find any thing to donate?? I just did winter clothes, and decluttered then.. So , as of right now... I am finding nothing..
    BUT..... Doing the decluttering thing regularly seems to help me, and it is not such an overwhelming job.. smile.
    Have a great day. and thank you for all your encouragement for keeping our homes so tidy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome Judy. I think what you are doing is great. I did the HUGE declutter several years ago, but I need to do continuous maintenance so it doesn't creep up on me again. :)

      Delete
  3. Just sent over the contents of the back of my hatchback trunk area to Goodwill, just glad to have it out of here. I have some like new clothing pieces to try selling on FB sites, after a month, I'll try Platos closet, if not interested, those items will also be donated. I also have an end table to unload. I have a full basement that holds some storage shelves with canning supplies, sewing supplies (in tubs), holiday decor and that's all I am permitting down there. There also is a full attic that is remaining empty. The older I get, the less stuff I want to own, esp stuff that is used so infrequently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm finding the same as I get older. I want way less stuff. You did great dropping off a load. I still need to drop off my stuff.

      Delete
  4. With a 100% disability, I find it difficult to declutter. I had some great help about 3 years ago. I need to organize things stacked instead of put away. It is so hard for me to do this. The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just do the best you can and don't worry about the rest. Taking care of yourself is priority number one! :)

      Delete
  5. I worked on checking expiration dates on food in my pantry and will be planning my Thanksgiving meal around some of the things about to expire. One thing is a big box of instant mashed potatoes. Do they ever really expire? I don't think so but I will be using them instead of making potatoes from scratch.

    This week had not been very productive, my house was ATTACKED BY A PLAGUE OF INVASIVE ASIAN LADY BUGS!!!! My time has been spent cleaning up their mess. It has been horrible. At least the weather has turned cold and they have stopped flying for a while.
    Jeannie
    https://getmetothecountry.blogspot.com/2017/11/invasion-of-asian-ladybugs.html

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...