Tuesday, November 9, 2021

An Overtime Funded Wal-Mart Prep

 


This past Friday was pay day and I had a little bit of overtime on that check.  I decided to put it to good use and use it to round out our prepper pantry with some additional items I felt would be really nice to have on hand.  Saturday morning the youngest and I headed off to make it happen.  But first we stopped into the grocery outlet store just to see what they might have at rock bottom prices. We didn't get a lot of things there, but I was able to add some more black beans (99¢ each), a package of lentils (99¢), a container of dried oregano (99¢) and two containers of mayonnaise ($1.49 each).  I had also added another tomato powder to my last Amazon order a couple weeks ago.

 



At Wal-Mart (I had a list) I picked up two more jugs of lamp oil, two gallons of white distilled vinegar, 1 large bottles of isopropyl alcohol, a large bottle of hydrogen peroxide, four cans of fruit, two cans of sauerkraut, and some canned meats.

 


I also added black beans, lentils & chopped pecans

I've been trying to add more meats to the prepper pantry the past couple of months.  A four pack of canned chicken ($7.68), three cans of roast beef ($2.47 each) and a six pack of vienna sausages ($3.16) seemed like a good idea.  Yes, we really do like those little sausages.  I have a good stock of tuna already and I've been replacing it as we use it so I didn't purchase anymore of that.

 

I am very pleased to add canned meats to my freeze dried supply

I have home canned meats as well as soups and sauces with meat.  A nice variety of meat options is a good idea as well as having beans and lentils on hand to use in place of or to extend those meats.  I like to add beans to stretch taco meat or bulk up a soup or casserole.  Lentils are nice for a tasty meatless soup or stew.

 

8 comments:

  1. You are very smart to invest in the canned items now. I've been going back and forth between Amazon (especially Amazon's Warehouse Deals) and comparing them to Walmart.com, and it's clear that as the old stock clears out, the new is much higher-priced. So... when it's a reasonable price, I've bought cases of:
    *corned beef hash (our favorite brand)
    *Dinty Moore beef stew (ditto)
    *green chilies
    *salsa (the chopped Mexican kind)
    *jarred green salsa
    *green enchilada sauce
    *red enchilada sauce
    *black beans (a big sale)
    *jarred peaches (ditto)

    The shelves at the Michigan Walmart I've been going to while we're here are all but stripped clean of the cheaper (but good) canned and jarred brands, particularly Walmart's Great Values line. If you want things like enchilada sauce or black olives, you must grit your teeth and pay a good bit extra. However, you can occasionally still order cases' worth for pickup. (Or have them shipped via Amazon with free shipping)

    Now what will happen when my stocked-up cans are gone? Guess I'll be paying more...but it is what it is. You can't buy case after case when you live in a fifth-wheel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we lived in our trailer I was amazed at how much I could squirrel away, but you're right, eventually you hit their limits. Happy hunting!

      Delete
  2. You have added many good items. Good for you on overtime and shopping wisely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great shopping!
    I need to stock up canned meats as I've used a lot of my cans of tuna. My son likes those vienna sausages too. I haven't tried the cans of roast beef. Do you put the beef over rice or potatoes or make sandwiches? Thanks for any ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my first time buying the roast beef but I've heard it is packed in broth and you can just thicken it with a little cornstarch to make a gravy and then pour it over rice, potatoes, pasta or even a piece of toast. I'd eat that!:o)

      Delete
  4. This morning I hit the Fred Meyer add and digital coupons. I bought everything we normally use with these. And instore specials: ground turkey $3/lb, and a flank steak for half price! Although I spent $150, I have filled all the crevices of our freezer and have some really cheap fresh items on the counter. :-)

    I added 1 full price item to my cart and I now have nothing on my shopping lists. I will pick up my fresh farm eggs Wednesday and we likely need nothing else until December unless we go through all of our frozen vegetables, which is actually entirely possible ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't you feel great?! I love when I can shop like that. Congratulations!

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...