Monday, November 1, 2021

Last Week's Thrifty Moves

 


I had a lovely Sunday with time spent with my oldest daughter, which is hard to come by these days.  She works hard and is very busy with school as well as her job so her time is limited, but we managed to squeeze in a good visit with lots of girl talk and some good food.

 


It was another crazy work week and things have yet to settle down much.  Not unlike a lot of companies we are extremely short handed and now it feels like a mass exodus is taking place.  It's like rats fleeing a sinking ship right now, which means we will be even more shorthanded and our workloads will only be increasing.  Annual raises this year were disappointing at best and they just came out with our new insurance for 2022.  It's absolutely horrible and they are covering less next year for more money out of our pockets.  It's not a good thing.  After the two years we've just had we were expecting much better as far as pay and benefits, but it simply is not to be.  We are losing our hardest working long term employees at an alarming rate.  I can't blame anyone for wanting better.  The new insurance plan has me the most concerned.  It has cost me a bloody fortune the past two years and it is going to cost more next year.  Competitive wages and benefits is the name of the game right now as far as employee retention goes and unfortunately the top floor isn't willing to accept that.  I am completely baffled about this and I fear they are making a huge mistake by not listening to their employees.  As a result we've all pretty much got our feelers out.  One would be foolish not to.

 


By the time Friday rolled around I was completely beat.  My daughter and I both headed off to bed early and I slept in until 7:00 and she slept until 8:00.  By the time we both rallied and got ourselves dressed for the day we were ready to get busy and do something productive.  First thing we did was to go to Fred Meyer to pick up some loss leader items on sale and to transfer a couple of my prescriptions over to their pharmacy so I could get $50 in FREE groceries.  Yes please!

 


My daughter wanted a "new" coat for winter so we went to a couple of thrift stores until she found the one she wanted.  A black Croft & Barrow fully lined and washable coat with deep pockets in a classic style.  Now all of us have a winter coat that basically looks the same.  But they are good solid coats and I picked this one up for her for $19.99.  It is in like new condition and one very similar to this one retails for $120.  We got a good deal.

 


THINGS WE ATE LAST WEEK:  Teryaki chicken w/steamed rice, miso soup, Baja tacos & spanish rice, hot & sour soup w/potstickers, green salads.

 


THINGS I CLEANED IN 15 MINUTES OR LESS: 

Laundry Room & Half Bathroom - Vacuumed & spot mopped floors, washed rug.  Daily swish & swipe. 

Kitchen & Dining Room - Cleaned & reorganized inside of refrigerator, vacuumed & spot mopped floors.  Daily swish & swipe. 

Bedrooms & Main Bathroom - Washed rug.  Daily swish & swipe. 

Other - Two loads of laundry.  Vacuumed & dusted living room, hallway & both entryways.

 


THINGS I DID TO SAVE A SMALL BUNDLE OF $$:  I washed out four gallon size and one quart size Ziploc bags to reuse.  Downloaded digital coupons and only bought items on sale.

 


THINGS I DID TO EARN EXTRA $$:  Worked some overtime.

 

How was your thrifty week?

 

4 comments:

  1. I am so sorry about work. It sounds stressful and exhausting. And the increase in insurance costs makes things worse. Hopefully corporate will get a clue since so many are leaving.
    Glad you were able to spend time with your girl. Your meals sound so good, and your house is lovely. Hope you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathy. I hope your week is fabulous as well. :)

      Delete
  2. I’m so sorry. You’d think employers would do what they can to keep good employees.

    How long until you can retire?

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...