Tuesday, November 23, 2021

Handling Food Shortages & Supply Chain Issues

 


If you have followed my blog for any length of time you have probably picked up on the fact that I am a meal planner and a budget shopper.  I keep and maintain a well stocked pantry and freezer so I can prepare healthy and delicious meals for my family on a really slim budget.  It has been nearly two years now since the pandemic started and it didn't take long for me to realize after witnessing all the panic shopping that happened at the beginning that it would be prudent for us to start a prepper pantry, which we did in April of 2020.  I continue to enhance and maintain that as well.

 


I always want to be prepared.  I see the writing on the walls and I get busy to make sure I am ready and able to take care of my family regardless of what may come our way.  Whether it is a job loss, unexpected expenses, economic crash or a pandemic, I've seen it all.  I want to be as prepared as possible for any eventuality and so far in my lifetime I always have been.  Thank God.

 


Right now we are seeing something new in that we can't always get what we want when we go to the grocery store.  Prices are steadily rising and meat prices are climbing at an alarming rate.  Simple basics can be difficult to find on any given day.  My advice is to be patient and be prepared to put a little more effort into your shopping.  And if you aren't already, you better get stocked up.

 


I've always been a hunter gatherer when it came to grocery shopping.  For the most part I am not brand loyal so that opens up a lot of possibilities for us.  I've always been out to get the most I can for the least amount of money possible and the best quality I can afford.  It’s a lofty goal, but I think over the years I've pretty much mastered it.

 


My best tips are as follows: 

Shop early and often.  Most stores restock the shelves overnight so get there when the stores open. 

Check the ads weekly and make a list of those items on sale that you know you will use.  Take advantage of loss leaders and stock up.  If soup is on sale for 49¢ with a limit of six, get six.  If toothpaste goes on sale for 88¢ a tube buy a year's supply. 

Sign up for store rewards cards and check their website regularly for digital coupons.  Take advantage of the free offers or money off on purchase deals.  Play their games and win some stuff. 

Shop at several locations to find what you need.  If one location is out of something try another.  Shop outside the box, so to speak.  I don't just shop at the supermarket.  I shop the dollar stores, the outlet grocery store, the restaurant supply grocery store, asian markets, Wal-Mart and the feed stores.  You will be amazed at what you can find. 

Look for marked down items, especially on meats and produce.  Reduced price stickers and tags can be found just about anywhere so keep your eyes open.  Clearance and close out items are a good find. 

Be patient and be flexible.  Don't fret about what you can't find and look for other options.  Be open to trying different brands or something similar.  You may just find something you end up liking better. 

Don't be afraid to ask for help.  If you are struggling to feed your family call 211 (in the U.S.) and speak to someone about the resources available in your area.  Food banks and food pantries, churches, schools and government resources can help you.  There is no need to go hungry.

 


Feel free to share about what you are seeing where you live and any tips you have too.  How are you managing to navigate these challenges and get what you need these days?  Do you find yourself shopping more or less these days?

 

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you 100% having learned to stock up when possible from my parents, who lived through WWII. Whether I need to do that is debatable but it's ingrained anyway, so I do! And just Sunday my DIL called me to say that what we thought was "just a cold" (according to the doctor) was in fact covid that my 7 month old grandson has brought home from daycare. And yep, he, his mom and dad and me and the other grandma have all got covid. I knew I wouldn't escape it as I'd spent the week cuddling a miserable baby to give his mom a break! Oh we're lucky in that it really is ok - in all our cases it's just like a cold except maybe lasting a bit longer. BUT we all now have to self-isolate (I live on my own) for 14 days and it really is not a worry, food-wise. So while I didn't see it coming I'm sure glad mom and dad's old habits are so well-ingrained!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do the same as you, but I am a bit brand loyal, not much. I bought a freezer because of the pandemic and the fragile state of food acquisition. I also buy from the farmer at his farm, but I think you do go to markets.

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...