Friday, November 19, 2021

Food Gifts For Christmas

 


With all of the supply chain issues and blank spaces on the grocery store shelves these days I think food gifts are much more welcome and appreciated.  Food doesn't just fill our stomachs, it gives us warmth, comfort and a sense of security and wellbeing.  What a tremendous gift we can give in the form of food.

 

A case of oranges or an assortment of fresh fruit

I was thinking a lot about this and how during war times and the Great Depression food gifts were really special.  The opportunity to give and receive something extra that you wouldn't normally buy for yourself.  Or to get more of something you really enjoy.  So I came up with a list of food gift ideas we can give to our friends and loved ones.

 


Wine - a nice bottle or two to enjoy with dinner or a bottle of champagne to ring in the New Year

Beer - a six pack of a favorite brew or something from a local brewery.  Add some nuts or pretzels

Charcuterie boards - a nice selection of meats & cheeses with a box of fancy crackers

Pasta - pair up some bowtie pasta with a jar of alfredo sauce or a package of linguine with a nice marinara.  Add some parmesan romano cheese and a loaf of French bread

Soup - an assortment of canned soups or make your own dry mix in a jar.  Add bread, rolls or biscuits.  Oyster crackers are nice too

Bread - homemade breads or rolls with a jar or two of jam

Nuts - assortment of nuts, cashews, peanuts

Hot Beverages - cocoa packets, K cups, ground coffee, teas.  Add in some mini marshmallows, chocolate chips, coffee creamer or cream, a honey bear

Baking mixes - a nice assortment of cake, brownie & cookie mixes with some sprinkles and chocolate chips.  Add in a carton of eggs & a bottle of oil.  Cookie cutters and cupcake papers too

Breakfast - sausages or bacon, a carton of eggs, pancake mix & syrup, English muffins, jam & butter.  Granola or their favorite cereal with milk is a good option too

Oils - a bottle of olive oil, avocado oil, sesame oil or a flavored oil; do a combination

Popcorn - microwave popcorn, microwave kettle corn, sodas or flavored sparkling waters to wash it all down.  Add in some theatre size boxes of candy

Pie & ice cream

Ice Cream, cones & toppings

 


I'm sure I'm just hitting the tip of the iceberg and you'll be able to come up with all kinds of ideas yourself.  You can make so much of this stuff yourself too.  Just think of things your loved ones enjoy and go for it.  Fill up a box, basket, bag or bucket and have fun with it.  I want to hear what you come up with.

 

6 comments:

  1. I have made the homemade hot chocolate mix for a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, and ideas! The picture of the oranges in your post reminded me that I used to get an orange in my stocking every year at Christmas. A good memory for sure. I also remember my parents and grandparents being given boxes of fruit at Christmas, which was always appreciated and enjoyed. Food gifts are a wonderful idea. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always got an orange in my stocking too. So do my kids. :o)

      Delete
  3. For some family gifts I'm making 5 bean soup mix in recycled jars paired with cornbread mix and a tea towel. Chex mix in pretty thrifted containers for others as well as cookie plates. Possibly homemade fudge not sure about the last one but it is a favorite of some older family members. I have really cut back this year and am trying to use what I have.

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...