Monday, December 22, 2014

Last Week's Thrifty Moves


On Sunday we watched Miracle On 34th Street on Youtube using our Roku.  We watched Castle and Forever on Hulu for free too.  We hooked the laptop to the TV for that.

We listened to lots of Christmas music on Youtube.

I printed off free violin and clarinet sheet music for the girls to play Christmas songs with from the internet.

We used one of our bargain brownie mixes and made mini brownie bites spiked with peanut butter chips.  I took a plate of them to the office ornament exchange and my oldest took a plate to school.  My youngest put several in a sandwich bag to give to her bus driver.

The girls took their teacher gifts to school and delivered them.

I made a pint of homemade 1000 Island salad dressing.

I turned two bottles of hand lotion upside down in order to be able to use the last of it up.

I rescued a foil bread pan with one of those clear plastic lids from our break room at work.  I took it home, washed it up and it looks like new.  I plan to bake something scrumptious to give at Christmas.  I also washed two red Solo plastic plates I brought goodies home on from our Bunco party on.  My daughter and I reused them to take goodies to school and work last week.

A couple of my co-workers saved me some gift boxes they received from vendor gifts for me to re-use.  They are really nice and I'm glad to have them.  I put them in my gift wrap stash so I already have a head start on next year.  My head is already spinning with ideas of what to put inside.

I used funds from our entertainment budget to purchase tickets to attend Celtic Christmas on Friday night.  It was a terrific show of Irish dancing.  We had a wonderful time.  On the way home we stopped at a restaurant and shared an appetizer.

Saturday I brought in my great grandmother's oil lamps from storage and cleaned them up.  I also trimmed some greenery outside and brought it indoors.  I used both to complete my Christmas decorating.

How was your thrifty week?



5 comments:

  1. I stopped in at a grocery store I haven't been to in several months - and discovered they have completely revamped their produce section. I found bananas (the "red tape" ones, which still last me a good 3-4 days) for 22 cents/pound! And they had 3 different types of peppers for my chili for way less than the conventional grocery store. I'll have to go in more often!
    - molly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is fabulous! Let me know what other great things you find when you go back. :)

      Delete
  2. This week I saved money by staying out of the stores- haha. I resisted the urge to go and buy "just one more" gift for the kids. ;)
    Today we made gifts for my son's teacher and the crossing guard. We gratefully accepted a bagful of scratch and dent pieces of fruit (apples, pears, oranges) that someone gave to my neighbor- she kindly passed some on to us. I also put aside several items for an indoor yard sale that we are planning to have sometime this winter.
    The Celtic Christmas show sounds great. What a nice way to send some time out around the holidays! You always have such great ways to save money- the brownie bites sound good (I've personally never met a brownie I didn't like!) I smiled at the thought of your grandmother's oil lamps. I have a thing for oil lamps. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *spend*- I meant to say what a nice way to 'spend' some time out around the holidays! :)

      Delete
    2. Like you I have yet to meet a brownie I didn't like, unfortunately. The girls just loved the Celtic Christmas show. I was so excited to see how much fun they were having. I just love oil lamps and the fact that these were used by my great grandparents just makes them extra special.

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...