Monday, December 8, 2014

Last Week's Thrifty Moves


I put the last of our Thanksgiving chicken into the slow cooker and filled it up with water to make soup broth.  After picking the bones clean there was plenty of chicken left to make soup and put some in the freezer for another batch later on.  I added veggies and cooked some pasta.  We enjoyed it with the last of the dinner rolls I had made.  There was also plenty of leftover soup for another supper and two lunches during the week.

I went to the dollar store and bought five picture frames for some art projects I am working on for our home.


I went to Albertsons to pick up a few loss leaders in the sales ad.  I found cheese marked down so low they actually paid me a penny a piece to take them.  I also bought three packages of Oscar Meyer wieners marked down to 99¢ each, two dozen eggs for 99¢ a dozen and a can of non stick cooking spray for 49¢ with a store coupon.  I returned on Saturday for more eggs and another can of spray since they had a limit on these items.


After work on Tuesday I stopped for gas and used my rewards card to save an extra 20¢ per gallon.  Then I swung into Walgreens next door to buy two packs of gum on sale for 79¢ each.  I used two 40¢ off coupons to reduce the price further to 39¢ a pack.  When I got home I put them in the bag of items I'm collecting for stocking stuffers.

I went to Fred Meyer after work on Friday to pick up the rib eye steaks that were on sale for our Christmas dinner and use a few coupons I had that were about to expire and the items were also on sale.  I bought two jars of Skippy peanut butter on sale for 2/$3 and used a 55¢ OFF coupon too.  I bought a five pound bag of flour on sale for $1.59 and used a 40¢ OFF coupon and a bag of lettuce mix for 88¢ and used a 40¢ OFF coupon.

When I got home there was another Fred Meyer coupon book in the mail for me.  I was super excited to see that.  Lots of great coupons I will be using to save money on next month's groceries.

I finished making two more handmade Christmas gifts for the girls.  I also made a gift for a friend of ours.

I re-gifted a white elephant gift I received a few years ago.  I plan to use it for the white elephant gift exchange at my Bunco Christmas party this week.  I'm ready to let someone else enjoy it for awhile.

I ordered a new light fixture for my bedroom from Home Depot.  It was on sale for 50% OFF and included free shipping.  It is really pretty and I am super excited about it.

I went back to the dollar store Saturday to finish up my holiday shopping and pick up a few final items as well as two bags of bows.

I made my first batch of Christmas cookies - Peanut Butter Blossoms.  So good and pretty too.

How did you do last week?  Any great buys?



4 comments:

  1. You scored great deals! I managed a loaf of fresh French bread for 99c, chicken breasts for 99c lb, gala apples (another apple pie) for 3 lbs for 99c.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome buys! I haven't seen chicken breasts that low for quite awhile. Apples either.

      Delete
  2. Great savings on all of the groceries- love that the store paid you to take the cheese. :)
    I also made soup stock in my crockpot from our turkey bones I love how far a pot of soup can stretch! :)

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...