Wednesday, December 31, 2014

My Uber Thrifty Month In Review - December

After paying our monthly expenses I was able to make my monthly deposit into savings.  I also signed up for the company 401(k) plan at work since it was open enrollment time.

Since I've been paying it down every month and all I owe now is for my box spring and mattress I went ahead and ordered my bed frame, headboard and side table from eBay.  I found a pretty light fixture to replace the broken one in my bedroom on sale for 50% off at Home Depot online.  I put it on my PayPal account as well. I worked enough overtime to cover my PayPal payment plus quite a bit extra and the light fixture.

Christmas was paid for from my fund that I saved up all throughout the year plus two gift cards I had.  I was pretty happy with how much I was able to do with so little money this year.  I was a little concerned about it but wonderful sales, coupons and creativity plus a great stash of sewing and craft supplies help out a lot.

I ended the month with quite a bit of money left in my checking account.  Part of it I used to purchase a set of quilted organizers to keep my Christmas china in and a set of felt pads to put between the pieces.  I put the rest toward my PayPal account and made an extra payment.

I received a Christmas bonus from my employer this month.  I was thrilled because it was totally unexpected.  I decided to set it aside to use for a family vacation next year.  We haven’t had one of those in a very long time.

Looking back at the year we just had I am amazed at all that I have accomplished without adding any substantial debt.  In fact I was able to pay down debt, increase savings, fund Christmas, refurnish an entire house, pay all of our monthly bills, either early or on time, (I prefer early) and establish an emergency fun.  The best part is I didn’t feel like I was sacrificing that much to accomplish my financial goals.

With new goals set for 2015 I will continue my uber thrifty ways and see what more I can accomplish in the coming year.  I'm thrilled and excited to get started.



10 comments:

  1. You did really great. I have already set the goals for this next year and want to increase payments on the house and into savings. Gotta get creative to make it happen. :-D

    I am seriously thinking about the quilted dish storage containers you purchased. Do you really like them? I have my china packed in plastic tubs in the closet since I haven't used them in 3 years. Probably because we moved and don't entertain formally. :=O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just got them yesterday and I plan to put away the china tomorrow. I'll let you know what I think. :) Like you I want to work on paying down my mortgage next year too and increasing savings. I'll have to get creative too.

      Delete
  2. You had a really good year- my glass is raised to you! :)

    Thanks for all the advice, tips and suggestions you always share with everyone. I enjoy your blog so much and appreciate all that I have learned from you. I look forward to reading all your posts of 2015!

    Happy New Year, my friend! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!!! You just gave me goosebumps. LOL. I love my blog and learning from all of you guys too. You keep me inspired. Happy New Year!!!! XXXX OOOO

      Delete
  3. Great job! I love reading your blog. Financially this year wasn't great but that's okay! I had my sweet baby boy and work got cut down so I only work 3 days a week instead of 5. Less money, but it gives me more time with my son so I love it. Thankfully my husband's income supports us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jess you had the best year ever! Your son is such a blessing and I'm so happy you get the extra time with him right now. Have a wonderful New Years!

      Delete
  4. This year was tough financially and unfortunately my debt load climbed as a result. My husband has been off work since June due to an ongoing illness. He is paid at 60% of his regular pay which is a big drop. Still his health trumps the bottom line. He is getting better and once he is back to work we will tackle the debt. It has been the hardest year of my life to be truthful but God has been faithful throughout and blessed us in numerous ways.

    I am always inspired when I read your blog. I hope 2015 is a wonderful year for you and your family. Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Theresa I'm so sorry you have had such a tough year. My hopes and prayers are with you and your husband for a much better 2015. Thank you for your kind remarks. Take care and have a Happy New Year.

      Delete
  5. Wow, you did do great! I'm hoping you'll show pictures of your bedroom redo!

    Tania

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...