Thursday, April 26, 2012

Composting


As most of you know by now I am passionate about recycling, reducing waste and reduced consumption.  Composting is a perfect example of waste management and recycling. 

A few years ago the city of Boise decided to switch all curbside trash pickup to designated bins.  I was excited about this because instead of a recycle bin the size of a laundry basket I could order one the same size as the trash bin I was going to be assigned.  That is exactly what I did. 

What I wasn’t excited about was the thought of all those trash cans that we had been using heading for our city landfill.  I had four of my own to contribute if I chose to.  I kept mine and decided I’d find other uses for them. 

The first thing we did was turn one into a compost bin.  I drilled five holes in the bottom for drainage and several on the sides along the top for ventilation.  We began throwing our food scraps, lawn clippings, leaves, garden waste, dryer lint (yes, very compostable!), and all approved items on the list. 

After one year we dumped it out on the ground and used the rich black part to amend our flower beds and pots.  What hadn’t quite composted down completely, the stuff at the top went back in the can and we started again. 

This year our can is full all the way to the top.  I shoveled out the top third into another can and the remainder will be added to our new raised garden beds this year.  I think what excites me most is that composting really works just like they say it does. 

It looks like over the next year we’ll have two compost bins going as we are adding more yard waste to ours than we have in the past.  By next year we should end up with a full 32 gallons of compost to add throughout our garden and bedding spaces. 

There are several types of compost bins available at home improvement stores and online.  Or you can do what I did and make your own.  You can also search online for directions to build your own out of wood.  It can be as simple or elaborate as you like. 


I keep a small compost collection bin lined with a plastic produce bag under my kitchen sink to collect the kitchen waste.  When it is full, out it goes to the big bin in the backyard. 

To get started put a 2 inch layer of dirt in the bottom of your compost bin, add 4 inches of leaves and lawn clippings.  Pour in 1 gallon of water.  Begin adding additional organic items such as: 

·                     Coffee grounds & filters, tea bags

·                     Stale cereal, crackers, pretzels, bread, pasta

·                     Shredded newspaper

·                     Dryer lint

·                     Fruits and vegetables, peelings

·                     Egg shells

·                     Sawdust

·                     Wood ashes – make sure they are cold

·                     Lawn trimmings, leaves, pine needles 

Every couple of weeks add a little of water and use a shovel to toss and mix.  If your compost is nice and moist don’t add water.  You don’t want a soggy mess, just damp.  Keep your compost loose so it can breathe and do its thing. 

It makes me feel really good to know that I am giving back to the earth instead of always taking from it.  Do you compost or have you ever thought of starting?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...