Thursday, April 12, 2012

Refried Beans


I made my medium slow cooker work hard yesterday.  First I made up a batch of refried beans and then I put on a pot of split pea soup.  I needed to use up some of the leftover Easter ham my mother had sent home with me on Sunday.  You can only eat so many ham sandwiches. 

My daughter’s spring program was wonderful and I am so happy I didn’t miss it.  She really sang her heart out.  She was so happy to have me there too. 

I thought I’d share my refried beans recipe with you.  They are super easy and flavorful. 

Refried Beans 

Thoroughly rinse and sort 2 cups of pinto beans and 2 cups of black beans.  Remove any pebbles or deformed beans.  Place in a large mixing bowl and cover with plenty of water.  Allow to soak overnight. 


In the morning drain the beans and place in a slow cooker.  Cover with warm water and allow to cook on high for six hours, until beans are super tender and soft.  Add water if needed. 


Dice up half a large onion.  In a large pan over medium heat sauté onion in 2 Tbs. melted rendered bacon fat.  You can use vegetable shortening if you prefer but the bacon fat has far more flavor.  Once the onions are translucent begin spooning in the beans with their liquid and mashing with a potato masher.  Continue adding and mashing beans until you have used them all.  Allow to simmer over low heat.  Beans with thicken up to the right consistency.  If they are too thick add a little hot water to loosen them.  Add salt and pepper to taste. 


I like a little consistency to my refried beans so I’ll leave some whole beans in them but you can puree them smooth with an immersion blender if you prefer them that way.  I was able to get 10 cups of refried beans.  I froze four 2 cup containers of the beans.  I like the 2 cup container because they are about the same size as a regular can of refried beans at the store.  These are much tastier, however.


I labeled the containers and let them cool down before I put them in the freezer.  In the meantime I made myself a tortilla with a little bit of the beans, cheese and homemade salsa.  It made for a delicious brunch.  A fried egg on top would have been good too. 

Have you ever made your own refried beans?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...