Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Bulk Bin Buys


We have a Winco store that happens to have a HUGE bulk area.  It isn't close for me to shop at Winco so I only go there three or four times a year and I always have a list of items to buy from the bulk section.  My favorite items to buy in bulk are definitely spices.


For a fraction of what the little jars are selling for on the shelves in the baking section I can buy enough to refill my own jars and then some.  Last time I went I bought peppercorns for my pepper grinder for around $3.  The same amount pre-packaged was selling for $7.98.  I picked up enough garlic powder to refill two jars for 90¢.  Less than half the cost of buying two jars at the dollar store.


Baking chips, nuts, dried fruit, hard candy are some other items I buy.  I like to price these items to see if they are on sale and if I have a coupon.  Once I've compared prices I make my decision based on what is least expensive.


Some items they stock in the bulk bins I don't buy like cold cereal, snack foods and crackers, most candy, pet food, etc.  I assume, because the bins aren't airtight that the cereal and crackers are most likely stale.


Dried beans, pasta, oatmeal and hot cereal are good buys usually.  Also if I need just a little bit of something or want to try an item I'll get what I need from the bulk bin if I can rather than purchasing a whole package.  For example I don't use cream of tarter very often so I'll get a little scoop at Christmas time and it only costs about 15¢ rather than spending over $2.00 for a small jar off the shelf and having more than I need.

Bulk bin purchases definitely help me stretch my grocery dollars.  How about you?  Do you shop the bulk section at your grocery store?


6 comments:

  1. I personally have not bought food in bulk as my parents did, but this past weekend I did buy grass seed in bulk. The feed and seed store close to my house deals in various types of grass seed. I needed something that would withstand the heat, kids trampling it and shade. The guy who works at the store made up a "blend of seed " for me and it cost less than the stuff I could buy at the big box stores. Plus there was no filler like small twigs, sand and chaff. I also buy my bird seed from these folks, too.
    Do you get your chicken feed in bulk?
    Vanessa B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get it at the feed store in 40# bags. I'd never thought of grass seed in bulk before. I'll have to check that out as we are in the process of re-seeding our lawn this year. Thanks for the tip!

      Delete
  2. There are several stores that I wish we had in our area- one of which is Winco. I keep hearing a lot about this store and the good deals that others get there. I am grateful for the grocery outlets we have where I live, but none of our stores have bulk bins like this store does. It sounds like you get some really good deals buying from these bins! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spices are by far the best deal. Bulk candy goes on sale for $.98 a pound at Halloween. We have one outlet store here but it isn't much of a deal as of the last time I stopped in. Not like the deals you get at yours.

      Delete
  3. The only places around here with bulk bins are the "Healthy" stores like Whole Foods, Earth Fare and a local organic market. There are no deals there. I wish we had that option!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bummer. I've been to Whole Foods once. I bit above my pay grade I'm afraid. Funny, our Winco is located right next door to them. Opposite ends of the spectrum. :)

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...