Thursday, April 9, 2015

KIS - Organization - Containers


I feel that when it comes to organization you don't have to have a bunch of fancy and expensive bins and containers to get the job done and I happen to know a few other bloggers who feel the exact same way.  You shouldn't have to go broke just to neatly store your stuff.


Most of the items I use to keep things tidy are items I've had a long time and repurposed.  I have a few bins I've bought that have stored a multitude of things over the years.  A few things came from the dollar store.  There was a time when I was all about buying bins and storing my stuff all stacked and labeled.  But eventually I wised up and purged a ton of stuff, then sold most of the bins and containers in a yard sale for a fraction of what I originally paid.  What a waste of money that was.


Of course, having less stuff to begin with makes organizing and maintaining that organization much easier.  Once I cleared the clutter and got rid of everything I didn't need or want anymore I got busy and neatly put away what was left.  I still have a few empty containers out in the garage up high on a shelf.  If it turns out I won't be needing them I plan to donate them. 
There are certain things I think are worth investing in:

Sturdy totes with lids to safely store holiday décor.
Furniture or storage units for hobby and craft supplies, if you seriously do that hobby or craft.
A silverware tray.
Quilted zippered china storage bags.
Assorted containers with lids for organizing kids toys, books and puzzles.  Labeling them with a picture of what is inside is very helpful for toddlers and preschoolers.
Divided food storage containers to organize the junk drawer or your desk.
A bin or wash tub for holding cleaning supplies under the kitchen sink.
Plastic shoe boxes with lids (99¢ each) for storing toiletries, first aid supplies, arts supplies, gift bows, etc.
A day planner.
Coupon organizer, if you regularly use coupons.


Before making any new purchases on storage items I comb through what I already have on hand to see if it will fit the bill.  I used the meat tray that came in my refrigerator in our old house to store my cooking utensils and knives in the drawer so they don't rattle around.  My mom's old Tupperware bread saver which is almost 40 years old holds spice and gravy packets as well as ramen noodles in my pantry.


Saved jars and canning jars are wonderful for organizing beans, pasta, popcorn, etc.  I keep my buttons in an old applesauce jar.  I store homemade salad dressings in pint jars and old pesto jars.



I repurpose the zippered bags linens and bedding sets come in to store various items.  I keep my yarn in the one my bedspread came in.  I put my extra ribbon, lace and trim in the ones my living room curtains came in.


What are some nifty things you've used to store your stuff?

You may enjoy revisiting My Baking Box.


7 comments:

  1. When did you find ziploc bento boxes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it was awhile ago but watch for them. They pop up every once in awhile. Like I said in the post I tend to reuse a lot of stuff over and over. I haven't bought any new containers in ages. Amazon has some similar products too. I wish Ziploc still made them. Rubbermaid makes some too I think. I bought my first ones years ago at Walmart.

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for the great tips. I like the idea of using pictures on the storage boxes so children can learn where to put the appropriate toy. I'm definitely using this one.
    I have color coordinated plastic bins for my holiday decor. Red & green for Christmas, orange & black for Halloween, purple for anything spring related. I also invested in plastic wreath containers. I like to hang wreaths on my front door and have one for every season. Since I put a lot of time and money into making these wreaths,i didn't want them damaged. I got the idea to use these containers when I saw them on an after Christmas sale and I bought three.
    Thanks again for sharing your ideas,
    Vanessa B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When it comes to holiday storage containers it sounds like you and I are on the same page. The pictures on the labels really helped to save my sanity. And it's a fun project to make them and put the bins together.

      Delete
  3. Laughing out loud right now!! You won't believe this- actually, you probably will- but I also store my yarn in the plastic zippered linen bag that my bedspread came in! I've done that for years and I cant believe someone else does that! And... I store my embroidery threads in the plastic zippered pillowcase bags. Great minds think alike!! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...