Monday, April 6, 2015

Last Week's Thrifty Moves



My oldest daughter had a guest come over Sunday afternoon.  I served them popcorn made with real butter and mixed up some lemonade.  Her friend was quite impressed by the "homemade" popcorn.  Honestly, you can't beat it.  So much better than microwave popcorn any day.


I watched last week's NASCAR race and an old western movie on YouTube.  Sam Elliot is so yummy.

I sent out Easter cards I purchased at the dollar store for 50¢ each and stamps I had purchased last year.


At Home Depot I spent $1.97 for some wasp & hornet spray because the hornets have moved into the inside of my retractable clotheslines and I don't want my kiddos to get stung, or myself either for that matter, when we hang our laundry up to dry.  I try not to kill insects but the hornets are pretty aggressive and plentiful around here.

I also spent $15.97 on a new hoe for our garden and to help me clean our chicken coop.  I used some of the money from the sale of the little washing machine to pay for this.

Gratuitous chicken shot.

I mended another pair of my work pants.

I filled out another online survey for Fred Meyer and earned and extra 50 fuel rewards points.

I baked M&M cookies with M&Ms I had bought both on sale and with a coupon.  My daughter took some to school to give to her band instructor.


Friday evening I ordered our ever bearing strawberry plants from eBay.  $10.95 for ten plants with free shipping and they are guaranteed.  I used my PayPal account to make the purchase so I don't have to pay for the plants until May, interest free.

I cleared out the crisper drawer in my refrigerator of all the older veggies that had collected in there.  I cut them all up and made a big pan of stir fried vegetables in my wok.  I cooked them up in a little bit of olive oil along with a couple cloves of fresh minced garlic, chopped onion, some Asian seasoning sauce and a good squirt of Sirachi.  It made a delicious side dish.  I added a little of my Thai Chile Sauce to my serving for some extra flavor and kick.



We started giving our chickies some veggie scraps.  They LOVE mushrooms.

Saturday afternoon we dyed Easter eggs with our homemade egg dye which uses white distilled vinegar and food coloring from the cupboard and some boiling water.  I reused our black plastic Halloween tablecloth to cover and protect the table while we dyed the eggs.


I tried a new method of cooking the eggs by baking them in the oven.  It really worked well and I'll probably do that from now on when I want to make up a big batch of hard boiled eggs.  I like too that there is no typical sulphur smell from the eggs and no odor from them in the refrigerator.  Nice.



Beautiful!
Aren't these cool?
I have some seriously talented daughters.

I made four pints of vanilla yogurt.

How thrifty were you last week?



8 comments:

  1. Well, we were on vacation, so we weren't super thrifty, but we did go to the grocery store and buy cereal instead of going out to breakfast.
    I love your chicken pictures! :-)
    - molly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done that and saved on breakfast expenses. My girls are taking so many pics of the chicks these days. I love them too! :)

      Delete
  2. The girls did a great job on the eggs. They are really cool !!!
    I had some thrifty moves last week. The first is getting our Easter ham on sale for $1.98 a pound. I saved $2.00 per pound or an $18.00 total savings. Because I hosted Easter dinner I got to keep the leftovers. Little one and I should be able to dine on these for at least three days. Oh, and don't forget the ham bone which I plan to make a big pot of ham and beans to share with the family this weekend. I also got three McCalls patterns for $5.00 at JoAnns. If I would have purchased them at regular price ( which there's no way that would ever happen) it would have cost me $50.00!!!!!!!
    I'd say I had a pretty good thrifty week that has flowed into this week too.
    Vanessa B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You did fabulous! Can you believe the price of patterns?! They should be ashamed. I only buy them on sale like you did. Enjoy your soup. I'm thinking split pea this time with mine. Yum!

      Delete
  3. Pretty eggs. I got a box of 64 diapers for $7. They were on clearance with an additional 50% off that and I used a coupon. Really good deal.

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...