Monday, April 20, 2015

Last Week's Thrifty Moves


My Sunday morning was a busy one, and happily so.  After slicing up the strawberries I bought on Saturday I laid them out on a couple of little baking trays and froze them.  Then I placed them into a Ziploc bag.  This way I can take out just what I need without them being all stuck together.


I made a loaf of whole wheat bread.  I made a double batch of homemade granola.  I made a pan of homemade strawberries and cream oatmeal for our Sunday breakfast.  I made a bottle of homemade maple flavored pancake syrup.


I gave the trimmings from the strawberries to the chickies.  They were in hog heaven.  I made a batch of homemade yogurt - 4 1/2 pints.  I sliced up our leftover Easter ham into sandwich slices and the rest was diced for adding to recipes.  I packaged it all up and put it away in the freezer.

We got enough rain so I didn't need to water the lawn.  I did water the new strawberries and they are doing excellent.  I am so excited about that.

I made another batch of salad dressing.

Free coffee & beef jerky.  The girl's won it playing Monopoly at Albertson's.

I made a run to Cash & Carry to pick up five pounds of grated cheddar on sale for $10.48!  I also picked up two more bags for a couple of ladies I work with and they reimbursed me.  We were all pretty happy to get such a great deal on cheese.

I held off doing my banking for a couple weeks and did it on the way to take the girls to the dentist.  Since I drive right by the credit union en route to the dentist it saved me an extra trip and some gas.

Our next door neighbor brought us a brand new 16# bag of Meow Mix cat food she no longer needed.  I was happy to get the food but sad to hear why we were getting it. L


Saturday I went to Albertson's and bought ten pounds of boneless skinless chicken on sale for $1.69 a pound.

The chicks are now spending their days outside in the chicken coop.  We bring them in at night still since it gets pretty chilly and they aren't quite old enough yet for cold weather.  Soon though.


How thrifty were you last week?


7 comments:

  1. I cant believe how fast your chicks have grown! Do they come in easily for you at night when you take them inside, or do you have to chase them to get them? Your baking looks good- I haven't made granola in a while (it's been on my to-do list for about a year now!) Great deals at the stores- especially the cheese! Sorry to hear about your neighbor's cat. :(
    Last week was a thrifty week for us but I spent a lot of money. (Doesn't sound like it makes sense, does it?) This month turned into a "stock-up" month for me, even though that was not the plan. I found some really good sales on chicken and beef that I could not turn down and stocked up on meat. I also stocked up on other staples (20 lb. Rice, 25 lb. Sugar, Cans of Coffee, lots of Fruits and Veggies) and got a few freebies using coupons combined with sales (a case of water, box of cereal and brownie mixes.) Aside from that we went to the local library's annual book sale. It is a 4 day sale but we only go on the last day when you can fill a large paper grocery bag full of books for $5. The kids each got a stack of books for summer reading and I got a few books for myself (We filled that bag up to the tippy-top!) All in all, I think it was a thrifty week for us. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's going to be a stock up month for us too. You got such a great deal on the coffee! I'm impressed with all your deals. It just feels so good to we well stock, I think. The books are another wonderful deal. You will enjoy them this summer. Keep up the great work! :)

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you had a great week. I have got to defrost my big freezer this week so I can start refilling it with the upcoming produce season (Strawberries are ready to pick right now and blueberries will be about 3 weeks behind)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use berries a lot with my homemade yogurt so I am hoping to put up a bunch this year. I found some blueberry bushes on sale at Fred Meyer so I plan to go get them this week and get them planted. Our season is barely getting started.

      Delete
  3. Dana, you always amaze me with all the great deals you find. Those strawberries look so yummy it's no wonder your sweet chicks gobbled up all the scraps. The only thrifty finds I had last week were on herbs and flower baskets. Our local hardware store had hanging flower baskets on sale. If you were a member of their rebate program, you would get a discount of $1.00 per basket. I'm a member and bought two to hang on my front porch. They also had herbs on sale 5 for $10.00. These herbs are huge and are regularly $3.50 each !!! Got those, too and planted them in a galvanized tub I found in my "garage". The tub has rusted out holes in the bottom which is perfect for drainage. It's thrifty, practical and cute on my patio.
    Thank you for sharing you thrifty finds. I love reading about them.
    Vanessa B

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sad about the kitty :-( I enjoy the chick pics. This week we had my son's Urologist appointment at the doctors other office which saved 2 hours of driving, I cashed in $5 on Amazon from Bing Rewards, and I got some free detergent and dryer sheets from my mom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Order a Sparkling White Smiles Custom Teeth Whitening System online and SAVE BIG!
    * Up to 10 shades whiter in days!
    * Professional Results Guaranteed.
    * As good as your dentist, for a fraction of the cost.
    * Same Teeth Whitening Gel as dentists use.

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...