Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Mini Projects Around Our House


Saturday was my day to tackle some mini projects around the house.  Nothing too strenuous and as it turned out it made for a pretty fun day.  I went to Home Depot to pick up fruit tree spray and a sprayer that attaches to our hose and while I was there I grabbed two cans of spray paint for my projects.


First up was to empty out all of our flower pots, we only have four, so I could paint them.  They are all faded and different styles and colors and I wasn't in love with any of them.  I wasn’t in love with the idea of forking over big bucks for new ones though either.  Unfortunately when I picked up one of the big guys it split down the side and dumped all the soil into the lawn.  Big bummer.


I scrubbed the three remaining pots clean and let them sit in the sun to dry and went on with putting up a cute little hook I had bought last year at a thrift store when my daughter and I filled up a bag from an all you can get in a bag for $1 table.  I had stuck the hook in the bag thinking one can always use an extra hook for something.  You can read more about it here.


I found four little matching screws and decided to put the hook up on the chicken coop.  I thought about painting it but decided I liked it as it was.  I picked off the 99¢ price tag that was on it and used my cordless drill to attach it to the coop.  After that I looked up recipes for hummingbird food and made a quick batch with 4 cups of hot water and a cup of sugar.  After filling up my $1 feeder I bought at the dollar store I hung it on the hook and it looks darling, I think.


I added composted chicken manure and wood ash to the soil I had dumped out of the flower pots and worked that all in so I can refill the flower pots when I am done giving them an overhaul.


I spread out a $1 shower curtain from the dollar store and used rocks from the garden to hold it in place.  I turned two of the flower pots upside down and painted them gloss black.  An hour later I went back and turned them right side up and painted them to just under the dirt line.  Then I did the same with the ceramic pot using metallic aluminum paint.  A friend had given me the pot last year and while I love the shape the design on it isn't exactly my style.  Now with a fresh coat of paint it is more to my liking and will continue to see some good use.  I'm excited to get these pots planted with flowers in a couple weeks.


In between coats of paint I also managed to clean out our pond and flush it.  I cleaned out the tubing that connects our spitting frog to the pump.  Even Froggy got a makeover.  After all these years he was looking a little worn and faded so he got a metallic aluminum makeover as well.

Before
After

Finally, I got the non working outlet on the porch replaced.  No more procrastinating.  That item is officially marked off my "To Do" list. 

I washed down the walls on the front porch and got rid of all the cobwebs and dirt that had been collecting.  I scrubbed our front door and added "paint front door" to the "To Do" list.  I also washed the porch light and my barn star that hangs by our door so everything is looking pretty.  I still need to scrub the porch itself but I was running out of daylight.


I added a cross piece of wood I already had on hand to the chicken run and reinforced the wire with staples.  My oldest is going to grab a hammer and go around and tack down any stables that have popped up a little bit.  I also reattached the netting across the top where it had come loose.

Additionally, I pulled some weeds, watered the strawberries, played with the chickies and I even made a small batch of chocolate peanut butter no bake cookies for a snack.  A very full, but fun day and I'm looking forward to another one!


2 comments:

  1. Holy Cow, Dana !!! Do you ever take time to rest??? And what are you going to do when you run out of things to do ??? ( I know, a mothers work is never done.)
    I like your idea of repurposing the flower pots by painting them. I discovered a bunch of ugly plastic pots in my garage last week and was going to throw them out. I do believe I will follow your example and paint them a bright color then plant some Marigolds in them.
    Once again you've come up with a great thrifty idea. Please continue to share them with us.
    Vanessa B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I hope you paint them. How fun to have them all bright and filled with happy marigolds. Rest? What is that? LOL. This weekend was definitely not restful but I had a ball. :)

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...