Friday, April 24, 2015

Kitchen Lighting Updated For Free!

Round 2

Our kitchen lights are twenty years old.  The old brass fixtures were very nice at the time when I bought them and installed them to replace the old ones that were original to our 1979 house.  They have served us well but as with all things they have now become outdated and I have been wanting to replace them for quite some time.

Before

Right now I am still in uber thrifty mode so replacing perfectly functional lighting is a somewhat frivolous expense at this time.  I have plenty of other projects that are more important to spend my money so new lights need to wait.

After recently painting our old flower pots with spray paint I got the idea to paint the old light fixtures and give them an update.  I still had a lot of metallic aluminum spray paint left so the cost to do this was pretty much nil.


I removed the glass bowls and washed them before I took down the light fixtures.  I used my Mean Green cleaner and a rag to get them squeaky clean and make sure there wasn’t any grease on the surface.

I took them outside and gave them four light coats of paint allowing each coat to dry in between on all the brass surfaces.  I painted the brass finial pieces too.  After letting them sit for several hours I took them back inside and installed them.

After


Wow!  What a difference.  I love how they turned out and the price sure couldn't be beat.  A free update that is definitely within my budget.


10 comments:

  1. I have those light fixtures, but in white.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great update!!! For free!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing what a little spray paint can do !!!!
    I love it.
    Vanessa B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm finding that out these days. Ha, ha. I'm not afraid to try painting things anymore.

      Delete
  4. The infamous boob light lives on!!! Lol! It looks great! Amazing the wonders of spray paint.

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haaaa! I just knew you'd mention it. LOLOLOLOL. Yes, my boob lights live on but in updated fashion!! :)

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...