Thursday, April 16, 2015

KIS - Organization - Zones


When we really think about it our homes our comprised of zones designated for specific activities.  We have bedrooms for sleeping, kitchens for cooking and eating, bathrooms for bathing, etc.  Therefore, I find organizing in zones specific to our activities is also beneficial to maintaining my home and my sanity.


After turning our entryway coat closet into our pantry we still needed a place to hang our coats, preferably near the front door.  The new arrangement I installed in the laundry room is close to our entry way.  Two simple handmade coat racks attached to a previously unused wall make a convenient area to hang up coats, sweaters, backpacks and my purse.  It is my first stop when I get home and my last one on my way out the door.


As I've shared before, I keep all of my sewing and craft supplies in one area near my sewing table.  Canning supplies are all stored together on a shelf in the garage.  Same thing with our garden tools and supplies.


I try to keep relevant cleaning supplies in a plastic bin under the kitchen sink for general housekeeping.  Laundry supplies are located on a rack next to the washing machine.  Office supplies are all together in one drawer.  Grouping like items together simplifies my ability to have what I need where I need it when I need it.

Keeping these two knuckleheads organized and in the zone is a whole other story.

I find storing items in a hodgepodge not only makes it difficult to ably complete my tasks but breeds discontent.  Neatly organizing my things in relevant zones brings calm and gives me the added bonus completing my chores and projects easier and efficiently.

What's your take on this?  How are some ways you set up zones in your home?



8 comments:

  1. The zone that I have perfected is our "back porch". It's more like an air lock from the kitchen frenchdoor to the actual outside door. It's a very small area and the place we hang our coats, leave our boots and muddy shoes. To make it pretty, I asked my brother to mount a pair of brackets on a board, then mount said board on the wall. He screwed a board on the top of the brackets to make a shelf. I painted it white and when it was dry, I screwed in hooks to be able to hang our coats. I found some cheap baskets at Walmart and spray painted them white. I placed them on the shelf and that is where I store mittens, hats, scarves and umbrellas. One storage zone completed many more to go.
    Thank you for sharing your thrifty storage ideas. I always appreciate them.
    Vanessa B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to have a porch or mud room. That would be nice and yours sounds perfect. I like the idea of painting the baskets. Clever, clever.

      Delete
  2. Your pantry is soo neat! I need to organize mine! I'm pretty neat but do see areas that could be improved after reading this post! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my "Sleeping With The Enemy" pantry and I get teased horribly about it. But honestly, how do you know what is inside of a can if the labels aren't facing the front?

      Delete
    2. Holy Cow, Dana !!!!
      I didn't realize that was your actual pantry. Now I don't feel so compulsive. You see I have a "spice closet" in my tiny, tiny kitchen. Actually it was once housed a fold out ironing board that has now been retro fitted with 3 inch shelves. (My tiny cottage was built in the 1930's.) I keep my spices and herb containers in there. All face forward and are alphabetized. I guess we are kindered spirits.
      Vanessa B

      Delete
    3. That is awesome! I'd say we are. You're little cottage sounds darling. Thanks for sharing your little tidbits about it.

      Delete
    4. It's the sweetest LITTLE cottage I've ever seen and I thank my youngest sister (a realtor) for helping me buy it. There are some weird things about it too, such as the only way to enter the bathroom is thru my bedroom. Or there's only only two drawers and three cabinets in the entire kitchen. I share the driveway with my neighbor and I'm afraid to put my car in the garage in fear it will collapse, so for now it's tools only in there. The flooring in the bathroom is unknown but the rest of the house (kitchen included) has hardwoods. I have a clawfoot tub and pedestal sink and I can touch both while sitting on the commode. Yes, my house is TINY and has quirks but with a little time and effort it has the potential to be a real diamond.
      Vanessa B

      Delete
    5. I'll bet you will make it into that diamond too. All those quirks are what gives it character and charm, I think. No wonder you are so smitten. :)

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...