Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Chicken Feeder Improvement


There was an obvious design flaw with our chicken feeder.  The hens could easily tip it over and spill out the pellets, which they have done and often.  Lately it has seemed like they are going through more feed than usual and there has been plenty on the ground.  Normally not an issue as chickens enjoy scratching in the dirt and pecking at their food, however with all the moisture we've had lately I do think it was dissolving and getting wasted.


After a bit of thought I decided the best thing to do to rectify this situation would be to build something to place the feeder in that would hold it and protect it from being tipped by the hens. 


I used three fence board ends leftover from our fencing project several years ago to build a rectangle frame.  I used screws from my can of miscellaneous screws to hold it together.


Then I cut a piece of 1" X 2" I had in my scrap wood bin to make a pair of feet to stabilize the box and keep it from tipping.  The feet also provide a way for the galvanized feeder to rest so it won't fall through.


It has been more than a week now and so far no food waste or mess in the coop.  The hens seem to appreciate their newly improved feeder too.  They've laid a lot of eggs ever since. 

Did I mention that this thrifty little project cost me exactly zero dollars and zero pennies? 😁



5 comments:

  1. Very smart and it looks cool too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! Maybe I need to build one of these to keep my cat from shoving his food bowl off his feeding area. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, there you go! Cats are clever though. He'll figure something else out.

      Delete
  3. Thanks Anne. So far they haven't spilled any food.

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...