Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Poor Man's "Fillet-O-Fish"


Eating out, especially fast food, is probably not the healthiest choice.  Last month my girls took the leftover funds from our dining out and entertainment budget and invested it in some frozen foods that are not part of our normal regime with the idea that it would be much less expensive and possibly healthier than eating out.  As a result this is one of the meals we came up with.

Homemade Fillet-O-Fish Sandwich

4 fish sticks
1 slice cheddar cheese
1 hamburger bun
1 Tbs. tarter sauce
Lettuce

Bake the fish sticks on a lightly oiled baking sheet until crispy about 20 minutes at 400°.  Place fish sticks side by side and lay cheese on top, return to oven just until the cheese melts.  Place lettuce on bottom of bun and top with fish sticks.  Add tarter sauce to top half of bun and place on top of fish sticks.  Enjoy!


I used to make these all the time back in my poorer days and I have to say it was nice to have one of these again after so many years.  I used homemade tarter sauce and whole wheat hamburger buns this time around.

If you enjoy a good fish sandwich from time to time this is an easy, thrifty and pretty tasty option.


10 comments:

  1. The beer batter filets are delicious for this, too...

    I have completed my March list of goals that you requested -- do you want us to post them somewhere?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh, on a nice hoagie roll, yum!

      Hang onto your list until Friday. I'm anxious to hear what you have been up to! :)

      Delete
  2. Yum!! Looks just like the one from McD's, but probably better! I love fish sticks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure what it is about them but they are pretty tasty. Maybe it's because it was a special treat to get fish sticks and french fries when I was a kid.

      Delete
  3. That sounds like a really good way to eat fish sticks! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing beats a 'fish finger' sandwich! Rose (UK)

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...