Thursday, May 18, 2017

Motorhome Storage - The Microwave Cabinet

In the past few weeks I have spent a fair amount of time working on the cabinets in the motorhome, inside and out.  For anyone who has had an RV or lived in a tiny house or apartment knows that good, well structured storage space is really important.

Two things became paramount to me when it came to storage in the motorhome.  One is safely storing items so things wouldn't become broken in transit or end up falling on my feet whenever I opened the cupboards.  The second was having a clean and well organized space.

I started by vacuuming and then washing out the insides of the cabinets with hot soapy water, simple enough.  Then I got busy with rebuilding (squeal - I love building!).  I quickly realized that some of the cabinets had had their shelves removed, for whatever reason, and were long gone.  Newer RVs don't have those shelves to begin with, why would you take those out?  I knew right away I wanted those shelves re-installed so I wouldn't have any wasted space.  The first place I started was with the microwave cabinet.

I removed the monster sized microwave which was extremely heavy and pretty much took up the entire space necessitating the removal of one of the original shelves at some time.  The original shelf was nowhere to be found but I did find the cleats for that shelf under one of the dinette seats.  All I needed to do was re-install the cleats and build a new shelf.


I decided I should build one with a lip all the way around to help keep things from falling off and with a space in the back to allow not only for the microwave cord, but also adequate air flow when the microwave was in use.  Amazingly, I found I had everything I needed to build said shelf in my garage.

I found a nice thick piece of plywood in my scrap wood stash that was leftover after cutting the boards to fit the windows when the A/C units are in.  It was the perfect size I needed too, I didn't need to cut it at all.  I added flat trim pieces I cut to length to the back and sides along the edges attaching them with a little construction adhesive and some finish nails.  I then cut a decorative trim piece to go across the front.  After a dry fit I painted the cleats and the new shelf a pretty chocolate brown color (Rustoleum spray paint + primer - Kona Brown - $3.87) and once everything was dry I screwed the cleats back inside the cabinet with some drywall screws and set the shelf in place.


I left the cabinet alone for 24 hours to make sure the paint cured before lining the bottom of the cabinet and the new shelf with rubber gripper shelf liner.  Then I put the new microwave (Amazon - $50) in place and plugged it into the wall outlet inside the cabinet.


The space beside the microwave holds my little collection of vintage cookbooks, some salt and pepper shakers and such.  The shelf above holds a mixing bowl, measuring cups & spoons, and an assortment of plastic food storage containers.  I love it!

Once this cabinet was completed I decided to make my way around the motorhome one cabinet at a time.  So stay tuned to see how I revamped the rest of the cupboards, a pantry and even a clothes closet!  So much fun!!



12 comments:

  1. Just a note on the safty of a microwave in a caravan/moterhome. Never travel with the glassplate in the microwave, a friend of mine had one break free as they hit a bump and the glass plate almost decapatated her daughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear. Fortunately there is a door on this cabinet.

      Delete
  2. I AM SO IMPRESSED WITH YOUR CARPENTRY SKILLS!

    At this rate, you just might end up building your next house yourself.

    Jeannie
    GetMeToTheCountryblogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you Jeannie. I've actually been thinking about doing that..... tiny house maybe.....

      Delete
    2. Blog about it! Take pictures!
      Oh, my work has finally slowed down so I am bingeing on blogs tonight. Life is so good.
      Jeannie
      GetMeToTheCountry.Blogspot.com

      Delete
    3. Life is awesome! I've been thinking more about a tiny house.... ;0)

      Delete
  3. We lived in a Dutch Star bus for 6 years. It was an experience. I learned so much. One thing we did was put that rubber / gripper stuff on the shelves to help hold plates and dishes in place. Sorry I can't think of the name of it. It's like shelf liner but you just cut and fit. No sticky stuff to deal with. Another was to have light weight dishes to not add weight. As for canned goods I used a deep drawer we had in the kitchen and wrote what each can was on the top of the can with a sharpie. Storage is at a premium so all the space does need to be used efficiently. And light weight helps too. Then lots of practice runs to see what we needed to "pack down" before moving. (and unhook) A check off sheet is good for that. You also want to be able to put your home back together quickly where ever you end up. This project sounds like so much fun for you! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Crystal. I did get the rubber gripper stuff. I've had great success with that and Corelle dishes in my other RVs. I am having a ball. :)

      Delete
  4. Look at you!! You are so handy!! It looks great and you sure are thinking wisely about your projects! Can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my third RV and I've learned a lot with the previous two. Keeping your stuff secure is the biggest challenge.

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...