Thursday, May 4, 2017

My Future Plans With Miss Laverne


I've made a monumental decision recently.  After a lot of discussion with my family and my closest friends I decided that purchasing another home to retire in probably isn't the best thing for me to do.  There are a number of reasons why I have come to this conclusion, not the least of which is my health (it irritates me that that even has to be a consideration right now) and quality of life.

In purchasing a home I know that I will be completely tied to that home for the duration.  I would spend the next ten years renovating it and getting it ready for my retirement years as well as working like a dog to get it completely paid off before my retirement date.  All of my spare time outside of work and my current home would be spent on this endeavor.


I also know myself well enough too that once I did retire, despite my desires to travel, I'd always be worried about my home while I was away.  So I probably wouldn't take as many trips as I would like.  As time went on I'd probably become a complete homebody.  I know this because I already have these tendencies.  I worry about things while I'm away.

My heart's desire has always been, ever since I was in my twenties, to own an RV and travel around the U.S.  I've always wanted to live in one full time and for awhile I did that, just a few years ago.  For the most part I really enjoyed that, except for the fact that there was no travel during that time.  It really taught me a lot about what that kind of a lifestyle would be like.


My children are going to grow up and do their own thing, as it should be.  There is a really good chance that neither one of them will end up staying in Boise.  The girls were actually worried about me being here alone and how that would make me sad, bless their hearts.  I've assured them that regardless of what they choose to do, Mom will be just fine.  They have to live their lives.

So when I started talking about retiring into an RV everyone within my circle was extremely supportive of that decision.  They all know me well enough to know that I'd be completely happy and content in a tiny home on wheels that would allow me to move with the seasons and seek out warmer weather.  I could also visit my kids regardless of where they settle.


When I came to this conclusion the RV goal quickly shifted from being a "want" item over to a "need" item.  Now granted, I didn't need one right now, but when the opportunity presents itself and you can afford to do it, then you do it.  Right?

After crunching the numbers to see how this decision would impact me financially, as you can imagine, it made quite a difference.  For one thing I'll be able to retire with a lot more money.  But what really surprised me was that I could retire at 62 if I choose rather than needing to wait until 65.  Possibly even earlier.  Wow!


So now you know more of what really spurned me to make my purchase of Miss Laverne.  Stay tuned for how we plan to make her into my retirement home.  It is going to be a really fun ride!

Pun totally intended.



16 comments:

  1. I think you will enjoy living in an RV. My in-laws did for about 4 years before they both developed cancer and had to trade it in and get a small mobile home in a mobile home park and that is where they finished their lives out. They enjoyed it so much, they went wherever the notion took them. They kept their doctors and bank accounts at the same place they had forever and when they needed to make an appointment at the doctor, they headed back to Florida. They really missed that life style when they gave it up so they could be near those doctors for treatments and surgeries. And good for you for making these decisions now and planning for your retirement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure I will enjoy it. Sorry to hear about your parents. Seems unfair to work all our lives to finally get to do what we want then illness hits and you can't anymore. Thank you for sharing your story with us.

      Delete
  2. That's awesome! To be honest I was a little bummed when you said you wouldn't be buying a house... I was looking forward to seeing the renovation and decorating of that... but those are just me being selfish! lol! How fun tho... you can even come over to Washington and visit me!! ;o)

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll just be renovating and decorating a smaller home. And yes! I'll need to head over your way too. That way you can see my handiwork in person. ;)

      Delete
  3. It is funny how a looming retirement changes what you think and what you really want!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A friend of mine told me I need to do what I want, not what is expected. It really made me think about A LOT of things. He was a great listener while I sorted it all out too.

      Delete
  4. We are in the process of getting our house in Colorado ready to sell...and moving into a 30-foot fifth wheel. So I understand totally where you're coming from! Your situation will be even easier -- you will be able to move around more quickly than us.
    Husband wanted the bigger trailer -- I would probably have gone with a smaller one, like yours. All the same, since I do some traveling for my work (appraising, judging and teaching quilting), this will be perfect for us.
    In our case, with the exception of our kids, everyone's thought we were nuts. So you're lucky in that respect. (Husband retired at age 60, by the way. It can be done.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Medical insurance might be the only hiccup, but we'll just have to wait and see. I'm amazed at all the support I've had, but no one has poo pooed my decision. Can you believe that? I've had a steady stream of visitors coming to see the motorhome too. Some have been by more than once! It has been a lot of fun. Good luck with the sale of your home.

      Delete
  5. You know what is best for you, keep working on your dream even if it changes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Change is the one constant, ha, ha. Thank you for kind words. I'm going to do this and have a lot of fun in the process. :0)

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Oh thank you. I'm trying hard, that is for sure. Sometimes I miss the mark, but I just keep on trying. :)

      Delete
  7. Go you!!! You are such an inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So happy for you.. and best wishes and prayers for your upcoming retirement and traveling. Look forward to seeing what you do to Miss Laverne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judy. I really appreciate the support. :)

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...