Thursday, May 11, 2017

I Just Can't Leave Well Enough Alone - Part I


I know I said that, and I quote, "for now we were just going to enjoy Laverne the way she is" but....  yeah... it so didn't happen that way.

I had cleaned up the bathroom in the motorhome and about thirty minutes later I noticed these little brown flaky bits all over the floor again.  It didn't take long to figure out that the finish was coming off of the little sink cabinet and making a mess all over.  Since I had already decided that the bathroom would need an update, no better time than the present.  Right?



The cabinet above the toilet is what caused all of this uproar!

Please note the blue bungi cord that was used to hold the cabinet shut
And the pretty brass towel holder

There really isn't a lot to do in this motorhome except for a lot of little projects, but the bathroom hadn't been touched so it was ready for a spruce up.  And boy oh boy, did it ever get one.  Here is how this all played out:

Walls

After scrubbing the walls down I primed and painted two of the walls covering up the dated, albeit quite lovely, floral wallpaper.  Two coats of Kilz2 latex primer followed by two coats of Behr primer + paint in a color called Beach Grass.

The oldest helping me tape everything off

Me squatting in front of the porcelain god, with a paint brush
I almost got myself stuck in there a couple of times, ha, ha


On the other two walls I used vinyl self adhesive tiles.  These are subway style in the Tic Tac brand and I ordered them in 10 packs from Amazon.  They are super easy to work with and the transformation is really something.  I used 5 packages of 10 tiles to cover both walls.




Hardware

Then I got out the spray paint.  Oh yeah, here she comes with the rattle can!  Remember my can of metallic spray paint I've been using on just about everything around here?  Well, I still had some left, believe it or not, and it was just enough to tackle this project.  I updated the toilet paper holder, the towel holder, the door handle and all of the hardware that went with those things. 



The TP holder brackets were a tad rusty but after a bit of scrubbing with a toothbrush and some WD40 they saw things my way.  Once washed and dried they also got a couple of coats of paint.  Even the screw heads got a shot.  I poked the pointed ends into a cardboard box so they would stand upright and gave them a quick spray careful not to fill the slots up with paint.


I bought a white plastic replacement roller for the brass one on the TP holder at Home Depot for $1.88.  Nice update compared to $10 for a new chrome colored one, I thought.

Sink Faucet

With the hardware completed I worked on the sink faucet by removing the handles and cleaning them up with a toothbrush and some heavy duty cleaner to get all the gunk out of the nooks and crannies.  I also scrubbed up the caps.  After masking off the faucet I gave it three light coats of metallic paint.



Note also the two stains on the right hand side of the cabinet top by the yellow screwdriver

Before reassembling everything the next morning I used my red and blue Sharpie markers to "re-paint" the H and the C on the faucet caps.  Pretty clever, huh?


Looks good as new!

Can you believe how nicely that faucet turned out?

Sink Cabinet

I sanded down the cabinet by hand with some fine sandpaper which easily and quickly removed the flaking finish.  Then I removed all the hardware and gave it another good cleaning.  And you just have to know I gave them a couple coats of metallic spray paint.



Now look at the stains on the right - gone!

After the paint dried and the tiles were done I used Restore-A-Finish to give new life to this old cabinet.  Night and day difference.
 

Okay, so now this post is getting a bit lengthy so tune in tomorrow and I'll let you in on the rest of what I did in here!  I know, it's hard to wait.  I'm sorry 😭.



14 comments:

  1. It looks really good! It is fun to make something your own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work you and I jumped off the same star!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic.. can't wait to see the final.. You are very smart..smile

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Judy. I'm so happy with the results.

      Delete
  4. Yay, it looks so good so far!!

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh goodness!! I love the new tile on the walls! Your 'new' metal looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't that turn out cool? Amazing what a little spray paint can do. :)

      Delete
  6. I had no idea you could paint faucets! What a good idea. Now my brain is spinning, thinking of the possibilities! You have just solved a problem for me.
    Jeannie
    GetMeToTheCountry.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That paint is amazing. It comes in chrome too.

      Delete
    2. An update eight months later.

      I never forgot this idea and finally got around to trying it a few weeks ago. The shower head in the upstairs bathroom was horrible, rusted, stained and crusted over with mineral deposits. I bought a can of chrome paint and since I wanted it to stick, I cleaned the metal then began to sand it. As I sanded, all the crud and rust came off! I continued to sand and it ended up looking new again! It looked so good I did not need to paint. Never in a million years would I have tried sanding a shower head but since I was going to paint it, I took a chance. I am extremely pleased with the result.

      Now I need to decide what to do with an unused can of chrome paint!

      Thanks,
      Jeannie @ GetMeToTheCountry.blogspot.com

      Delete
    3. Jeannie that is so super cool. I'm glad you took a chance on it and I'm sure you'll come up another project for that paint.

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...