Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Vegan Carrot Cake


A while back, after posting the recipe for Vegan Chocolate Cake, one of my readers sent me a link to a carrot cake recipe she thought I might like.  She was so right, because this girl loves carrot cake.  The recipe looked pretty darn good and I wondered if I could adapt it to my favorite recipe which is delicious, but not very healthy.  Well, I worked with it and this is what I came up with:

Vegan Carrot Cake

1 1/2 cups flour
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. cloves
1/4 tsp. allspice
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
1 large carrot, peeled & finely grated
1/2 cup walnuts, pecans or almonds, finely chopped
1/2 cup raisins, chopped
1 small can crushed pineapple, drained, save the juice
4 Tbs. vegetable oil
1 Tbs. vinegar
1 tsp. vanilla


Mix flour, sugar, soda, salt and spices together in a large bowl.  Add carrot, nuts, raisins and pineapple and mix together.  Add enough water to reserved pineapple juice to equal one cup of liquid.  Add juice, oil, vinegar and vanilla to the bowl and stir until well combined.


Pour batter into a well oiled 8" X 8" square pan.  Bake in a preheated 350° oven for 35 to 40 minutes until center springs back to the touch.  Remove from oven and cool.


Although this cake doesn't need it, I frosted it with cream cheese icing, but a simple dusting of powdered sugar would be very good as well.  It is super moist and very delicious.  I hope you give this one a try.



14 comments:

  1. Wow not all the oil that usually is in carrot cake. Will definitely try this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know and it is still super moist and delicious! Enjoy.

      Delete
  2. My tummy is actually rumbling reading this! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you on this one. Powdered sugar might suffice, but there is no way it would be as tasty as adding the cream cheese icing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When my boys were little they loved carrot cake and the recipe you posted sounds very familiar. I always frosted it with Cream cheese that was softened and mixed with a mixer and a thin stream of pure maple syrup. So good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yum that sounds good. I might have to try that next time.

      Delete
  5. oh man this looks awesome! I'm saving this recipe for sure... for now I'm going to have to stick with carrot chips...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much as I'd like to I'll wait to make another one for awhile. I made this for our dessert on Mother's Day.

      Delete
  6. You can make a passable cream cheese frosting substitute with soaked raw cashews, powdered sugar, almond or soy milk and lemon juice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you liked it! I'm going to try your version...I'd put chopped pecans on the cream cheese frosting, too.
    We just got a foot of snow here in Colorado, and it's still coming down...will be a good baking recipe for tomorrow, to help heat up the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Definitely pecans on top! Good plan! It froze here this week too. Rained and then a ice all over everything (groan).

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...