Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Chopped Salad


Ever notice how you accumulated little bits and pieces of vegetables in your crisper drawer sometimes?  Rather than let them rot so you can justify tossing them out, make a chopped salad! 

I love chopped salads.  They are so healthy for us and taste so good.  Plus, they are super simple to make.  The other day I made one with all my little leftovers and cleaned out my crisper drawer quite nicely in the process. 
 

This is what I put into mine: 

·         The end of a cucumber
·         A handful of grape tomatoes, sliced in half
·         A handful of baby carrots, sliced in ½ inch pieces
·         The last third of a bag of broccoli florets
·         A handful of black olives
·         About a dozen green olives
·         3 sliced pepperoncini peppers
·         2 slices of yellow onion diced and rinsed in cold water 

All items just rattling around in the crisper waiting to be rescued.  I tossed it all with my homemade Italian dressing and let it marinate until lunchtime.  So good and unfortunately no leftovers to enjoy later. 


This salad is a wonderful dish to take to a potluck as it holds up so well.  You could also add in leftover pasta and some Feta cheese too if you had it. 

Tip:  Rinse your onion in cold water and drain to remove the heat and bite when adding to a raw salad.  You are left with a sweet oniony flavor and no bad breath or aftertaste to contend with later.

3 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! Yum! I have to say, I find your attitude and outlook on life so inspiring... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, what a sweet thing to say. You just made my day.

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...