Saturday, January 19, 2013

My Mission - My Sewing Stuff - Part 1

I think the task I have dreaded the most was to tackle my sewing stuff.  I have A LOT.  After receiving two hefty donations of fabric, trims and notions from two friends last summer I had quite a bit.  I used up a lot of it sewing summer dresses for the girls and their pajamas for Christmas.  However, I still have quite a bit left.  What a blessing. 

You may remember the big zippered bedspread bag I got at the thrift store last fall FULL of laces, trims, yarn, embroidery thread, notions and craft supplies.  I still had the vast majority of those things to integrate into my existing stock.  Then my mother added to my mess by bringing me a grocery bag full of spools of thread that a friend of hers had found at a flea market.  Great colors of thread and with thread so expensive I was very happy to get it!

I am happy to report I got busy last week and got it done.  I took it in chunks and worked on it over two afternoons. 

First I sorted and organized all my threads arranging them
by spool size and grouping by colors.  It will be so much easier now to find the right color thread when I get ready to sew again.
 
What a mess!
Large spools all together and grouped by color.
Small spools in my most commonly used colors.
Biggest spools get their own shoebox size bin.

Then I did my rick rack bin, incorporating the items I had from the bedspread bag into what I already had.

Another mess!
So much better.

Next it was on to the laces and trims.  I wound a lot of it around cardboard flats, combining multiple trims together to save space.  This ended up being the biggest part of the project and consumed the most time as I have A LOT of this stuff.


And yet another mess.
Made much better!

I am so happy with how it all turned out and to have it done and behind me.  Now to move onto the fabrics.  Lord help me! 


This is so much nicer and definitely more functional.

You know, it is not too late to join me on My Mission.

5 comments:

  1. Looks great. I need to get busy on some things around my house.

    K

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks awesome!! Wanna come & do mine now?! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dumped all my thread into a 35 gallon bin....last summer. Last week, I finally got around to sorting the thread and getting rid of some. Who needs 20 tall spools of yellow in various shades? I have a plan for it and am working on a post.

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...