Saturday, January 5, 2013

My Thrifty Coffee Habit


Coffee can be expensive and addictive too, for that matter.  I do love my coffee in the morning! 
 

I use a carafe and cone method to brew my morning grog.  I heat up a pan of water until it is just about to boil, put a filter and 1½ scoops of espresso grind coffee into my cone, set it on top of my carafe and pour in the hot water.  I love the rich flavor of the espresso grind and the fact that I need less grounds to make a pot of coffee. 
 

I usually drink 2 to 2½ cups and what is left gets put in the refrigerator, including the cone.  The next day I reheat my cups of cold leftover coffee in the microwave.  Too me it tastes the same as the day before.

The day after that I add one more scoop of coffee to the filter in the cone and pour my pan of hot water inside to brew a new pot.  Once again I drink my 2 to 2 ½ cups of coffee and save the rest for the next day.  At this time I put the filter and spent grounds into the compost bin. 

Once I have used up that pot of coffee I start the process over again.  My grandfather showed me this method and I have been doing this for years now.  I save on coffee and I also save on filters. 


To save money further I purchase my one year supply of coffee all at one time online from JavaCabana.com.  They offer me a great quality and very affordable product as well as free shipping.  My order is less than $35 for 10 vacuum sealed bricks of their espresso grind coffee.  The free shipping is a great value as coffee is pretty heavy and they get it to me fast too. 

Do you recycle your coffee grounds?

4 comments:

  1. This is a great idea! Whenever I am drinking coffee (most of the time since I have so much trouble giving it up) we compost our spent grounds as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I so should have read this before I bought the Keurig. I love that you bought a year's supply!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is that the one that uses the K cups? I think you can buy a reusable cup for those now and use your own grounds. I saw it on TV the other day, 2 for $10 or something like that.

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...