Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Work Wardrobe – Part 3


Your work wardrobe is an investment, an investment in not only your money but your time as well.  I have found that if I am really good about taking care of my work clothes they will last longer and look nicer.  In the long run I will spend less time and money on clothing purchases. 

I keep my work wardrobe laundry separate from the other laundry by having a little basket in my bedroom to keep items in that need laundered.  I find I launder less often because I usually can wear most items twice.  I work in an office.  Unless I spill something on myself or rub up against something my clothes don’t get that dirty.  Not only does this save on laundry but also on wear so my clothes last longer. 

I purchase a bottle of special care fade resistant liquid detergent to wash my work clothes with.  I found through trial and error that this was a wise investment.  I use a coupon and spend about $6 once a year for a small bottle of detergent.  I also use a liquid fabric softener to control static. 

I usually only have to do my work laundry once every two weeks so I save a lot of time.  I pull the clothes out as soon as the dryer shuts off to limit wrinkling and hang them up right away.  I find that most items come out very nice and only a few things need to be touched up with an iron. 

For dry clean only I use the home kit on occasion as I have had way too many items ruined by the dry cleaners.  If you follow the instructions on the kit things usually turn out just fine.  I try not to purchase items that need to be dry cleaned to begin with but I do have a few items. 

Mending and maintenance is also important.  Nothing will void the look of a well put together outfit quicker than dragging your hem along the floor or wearing a pair of scuffed shoes.  Keep a mini sewing kit in your purse for emergencies.  Polish your shoes.  Replace missing buttons and fix fallen hems. 

Safety pins and masking tape are not a permanent solution to sewing.  If you have difficulty with a needle and thread seek out someone to help you.  You can always repay their kindness with a homemade treat or by exchanging services for something you are good at. 

Remember – if it is stained treat it, if it is dirty wash it, if it is wrinkled press it, if it is torn mend it, if it is faded dye it, if it needs a button find a button, if it is scuffed polish it and if it is beyond help replace it.

2 comments:

  1. Lucky for me my "work wardrobe" consists of jeans & tshirts. lol!! ;) Great advice and tips though! Taking care of what we have is a great way to save money!

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...