Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Free Food


Last Saturday, while we were shopping for various odds and ends on our list, my youngest daughter came up to me and said “Look what I found”.  She had found on the ground a catalina from Albertsons for $5 off a $5 purchase and it had not expired. 

I told her it was just like finding a $5 bill on the ground and she got super excited.  Later we discussed all the things she could do with that catalina or coupon as she preferred to call it.  After looking at this week’s Albertson’s ad we formed a plan and on Monday I took her to the store to use her coupon. 

I was very proud of her and her selections.  She chose a bag of fresh broccoli florets, a bag of cauliflower and broccoli florets, two avocados and two bananas.  She carried her purchases up to the checkout stand along with a reusable shopping bag and our Albertsons Preferred Card and then paid with her coupon and some change I’d given her to cover sales tax. 

I could tell as we left the store with her carrying her bag of produce that she was pretty proud of herself.  She even told me how she specifically wants me to cook some of that broccoli. 

It was a big deal to her to not only get to buy this food but contribute it to the family dinner table as well.  Especially when I heard her tell her sister “Five dollars is a lot of money.”

8 comments:

  1. Woo hoo! That is terrific and even better that your daughter caught on to saving money. It is interesting how our actions do so influence our children. Several years ago when my daughter was in her twenties she said to me "Mom, I remember you cooking a lot and canning, you must have liked doing that". Ha ha Wasn't my fondest memory standing in a hot kitchen canning away. Today is she is a frugal shopper and cook with children of her own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right. We are very much shining examples to our children. How nice that your daughter has fond memories of you sweating it out in the kitchen. :) Enjoy your day.

      Delete
  2. That's a pretty sweet deal. Good find by your little one.

    K

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your daughter is a smart shopper! Good for her!! Most kids would have without a doubt bought "junk"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really thought she would want to do that too. She sure surprised me.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like you're teaching her well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure try hard. This is just validation that I'm succeeding in this area. Have a great day!

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...