Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Work Wardrobe – Part 1


On my list of things to do is to upgrade my work wardrobe.  Because I spend the most time wearing my work clothes I focus a lot of my attention and clothing budget in this direction.  I find that by keeping it basic and simple I don’t have to expend a ton of energy maintaining it. 

I have a set of clothing pieces that when mixed and matched make for a variety of outfits suitable for all seasons. 

Basic Two Piece Suit 

Start with a basic two-piece suit.  It should be of good quality and fit you well.  A simple lined jacket and slacks in a classic design and dark color, either black or navy.  A good suit is an invaluable part of your wardrobe in that it can serve a lot of purposes.  You can wear it to a job interview, a business meeting, a funeral and even a wedding.  A suit can also be broken up and used with other pieces of your wardrobe making it very versatile. 

Slacks 

One of the things I spend the most money on is my slacks.  I need them to be good quality and to hold up.  I wear them a lot and I need them to look good and hold a crease.  I have learned that cheap slacks won’t do this and after a short period of time they look terrible and will not last making them a complete waste of money. 

To keep it simple all my slacks are black and one pair is gray.  I have a hard time telling the difference between navy blue and black. 

Shoes 

The other thing I spend the most money on is my shoes.  There is nothing better to invest your money into than a good pair of solid leather work shoes.  I buy one new pair of black leather shoes a year and because I buy good ones I only need to buy one pair a year. 

Sweater 

A good quality basic sweater in a solid color is another important and versatile piece to a wardrobe.  It can be used to keep you warm and dress up many an outfit, but is less formal than a blazer or the jacket to your suit.  Purchase one the same color as your slacks and if you have the means purchase another one in your favorite color.  I have one in black and one in red. 

Tops 

You will need a variety of long and short sleeved tops in a variety of colors and prints to mix and match with your bottom pieces.  I keep five long sleeved and five short sleeved tops in my closet.  I also keep a few sleeveless tops to wear with my suit or under a sweater in warmer weather. 

Bras & Underwear

If you do nothing else, get measured for a bra and buy the correct size.  Most women today are not wearing the correct bra size.  Once you are properly measured and fitted for a bra you will be shocked, not only at the size you really need, but the comfort level too. 

Spend some money on a good quality properly fitting bra and you will never be sorry.  I buy one new bra a year so it isn’t such a huge financial investment all at once.  A good quality bra will last a long time.  I have three in black, one in white and one in nude. 

The same can be said for underwear.  Several good fitting and comfortable pairs in colors to match your bras is a good idea.  I have six pair of black, two of white and two of nude – 2 pair of panties for each bra is a good ratio so you don’t have to do laundry all the time.  A racy red pair doesn’t hurt either.  Good quality underwear will last a long time and won’t ride.  I usually purchase two new pair per year and toss the oldest ones as they wear out. 

It is amazing how good you will feel wearing fine quality, well fitting under garments.  It will actually give you a boost of confidence. 

Accessories

Accessories are fun, the icing on the cake, if you will.  You can accessorize as much or as little as you like, but accessories can have a dramatic affect on your style and, funny enough, your mood. 

Personally I keep my accessories to a minimum.  I usually just wear earrings and a watch.  However, I am hoping to change that and start branching out a little more, adding scarves and more jewelry.  We’ll see how well I do with that.  I’m not that girly. 

Next time I will be posting about how I acquire my work wardrobe without going broke.

 

 

 

3 comments:

  1. Love this topic and appreciate all your insight!!
    I tend to buy randomly, but I am working toward a small but totally versatile wardrobe. I look forward to your future posts.
    -Nikki

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great. I needed a guideline and need to do some work on my wardrobe.

    Thanks

    K

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a good list... I have far too many clothes. *blush* I'm trying to pare down though as I honestly wear the same clothes over & over again...

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...