Thursday, January 24, 2013

Ice Storm

Still raining and 22 degrees.
I woke up this morning at 4:44 knowing that something was going on outside.  I got up to check it out.  It was raining and only 20° out there.  It was freezing the moment it landed on the ground.  At 7:00 the power went out for over an hour.

 
Once daylight started I bundled up and headed out to inspect my ice glazed winter wonderland.  Our vehicles were completely encased with a thick layer of ice and the ground was slippery.  I dragged out the ice melt and sprinkled away.

Ice glazed windshield
After prying up some of it
Amazingly school was not canceled and yet the roads are far more treacherous than they were last week when they called a snow day.  I did manage to get the door open on the truck and she started right up.  I let her idle with the defroster on full blast.  After 10 minutes the ice loosened and once I chiseled a chunk off with the ice scraper I was able to start lifting the ice off in big sheets.  It was so incredibly thick.  Weirdest thing I’ve ever encountered in all my year living here. 

I got my girls to school and never did go over 20 mph.  A lot of accidents reported in the valley on the freeway which is currently closed.  I don’t plan to go anywhere I don’t have to and to be honest I was thinking school today could have been optional. 

Did I mention I fed my girls chocolate chip cookies for breakfast and packed them granola and milk in their lunches?  I was right in the middle of trying to heat up leftovers for their lunches when the power went out.  And the Mother Of The Year award goes to.....

 

3 comments:

  1. Gosh, you get best person of the year award for tackling the ice and thinking of something in their lunches. Where we use to live one evening there was a terrible ice storm and it brought down lots of big trees, damaging homes, yards and knocking out electricity. We had severe damage and it was so scary to hear big oaks crashing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We haven't had anything like this yet this year.. it's brutal though! I think you did pretty good for even packing them a lunch personally! lol!! You can only do what you can do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I got home from work I chiseled a path from the front door to our truck. What a mess outside. So ready for spring!

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...