Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Work Wardrobe – Part 2


Acquiring a work wardrobe or even updating or upgrading an existing wardrobe can be a daunting task, not to mention an expensive one.  Well, just like an elephant, you don’t have to eat it all at once, just one bite at a time. 

Basic Two Piece Suit 

My suit is a fully lined Jones Of New York designer piece in a classic style that sold at the mall for over $300.  Did I pay that much for it?  Um, no.  I found my suit at an outlet store, in this case TJ Maxx, for $69.99.  It was the prior year’s model and I really didn’t care one bit about that.  It looked great, it fit perfectly and the price was nothing to sneeze at.  I’ve had it for five years and it still looks brand new. 

Slacks 

I try to buy a new pair of black slacks every year to add to my wardrobe.  This way when I have a pair wear out I can get rid of them without shorting myself or feeling the need to go out and replace them right away. 

I usually purchase my slacks at the end of January when the stores are clearing everything out at ridiculously low prices after Christmas.  Most of my slacks average $50 because I want a good quality pair.  I don’t necessarily pay that much for them.  Last year I lucked out and found a pair marked down to $18 on clearance.  Consignment shops have gently used slacks and in some cases new with the tags still on them.  Same with some thrift stores. 

Shoes 

Outlet stores and clearance racks are a great place to look for good quality leather shoes.  Last year I picked mine up for $21 off the clearance rack at JC Penney, once again, at the end of January.  The year before that I got them at Kohls (I had a gift card) and the year before that I paid $18 for a pair at Ross. 

Sweater 

I purchased my sweater 15 years ago, on sale, for $19.99.  At the time I remember it seemed like a lot of money but I wasn’t expecting it to last this long and I wore it A LOT.  I practically lived in the thing.  Cotton rayon blend it held up beautifully and just this year I wore through my left elbow.  I was very sad about it too.  I fixed the hole and now it is my weekend sweater. 

I wanted another good quality sweater that would stand the test of time.  I also decided this time I wanted a designer sweater because I love a particular designer and I wanted the quality and craftsmanship of a piece that will get a lot of use.  I was able to affordably replace my sweater by buying one online at eBay. 

Tops 

I buy my tops everywhere and I try to do so for as little money as possible.  The chief reason for this is that our tops take a lot of abuse.  We rub up against stuff, we spill things on them, they get stained, they get caught on things and snagged.  Consignment shops, thrift stores and clearance racks are the best places to find tops for rock bottom prices. 

Bras & Underwear 

Stores hold “semi-annual lingerie sales” at least four times a year.  That is when I go and get what I need.  I always get my bras at Dillards because they have my size and a particular bra, the T-shirt bra, that I love.  Underwear I buy at a variety of stores – J C Penney, Macys, Sears, Dillards, etc.  I never buy these items used, but that is my personal preference.  I always buy them on sale. 

Accessories 

Accessories can be found anywhere and a lot of them can be made too.  Keep your eyes open whenever you are shopping.  You never know what little treasure you might find. 

Remember to keep your eyes open.  Check consignment shops, thrift stores, clearance sales, online vendors, eBay, craft bazaars, even garage sales. 

Don’t be afraid of purchasing used clothing.  As my ex-mother-in-law says “Once you’ve worn it and washed it, it’s used.”  I am always amazed at the great things I find at thrift stores, often times new with the tags still on.  I just take them home and run them through the wash, press with an iron, if needed, and I’m good to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...